Dental scan example

Hello,

I was the dental scan on the mini’s page and i was wondering if anyone yad tried this and had a model they could share? other dental scanners cost several thousands and this would be a huge step down in cost. thanks

1 Like

I tried it but it lacks much details. The surrounding light is an issue.

The MINI Prefers darker room Light Light is only required if you scan RGB, Enquire with @PUTV regarding dental scans.

1 Like

You need to scan dental stone impression at 10 cm for the heights accuracy , avoid LED indoor lighting with Cool color , warmer LED lighting don’t creates issue like for example the one sold by Revopoint , you can also scan in darkness, I use Photo Lights box to control the ambient light , and of course stay away from sunny windows .

The scanned and printed result was perfection since I made false teeth based on that scan that fits perfectly .

The accuracy is below 5 microns , the lowest I captured was 3 microns .

If you going to scan stone impressions you are good to 3 microns accuracy at 10 cm distance , keep distance steady , don’t overlap the scan multiple times , with the new Dual Axis turntable from Revopoint , you can capture the whole cast at once in max 800 frames .
Of course you can’t go inside the mouth and scan precisely since wet surfaces can induce noises due to reflections so you will need dental 3D spray for inner mouth scanning . The top is easy to scan but the bottom less , I scanned only top frontal section , but I prefer to scan stone cast for more precision .
I am not a dentist but I am doing FX dental modeling work for my clients.

The quality of MINI is in the middle between Artec Space Spider and Artec Micro , what are 20K+ scanners . If scanned at 10 cm distance you get the best quality and accuracy.

2 Likes

@PopUpTheVolume

Just wondering as I am getting my MINIs (hopefully) in next couple of days kickstarter pledges. If the optimal scan distance is 10cm and the object one is scanning has a diameter of we say 10 cm, where is the reference point/surface to set 10cm from? Aproximate middle of the object?

1 Like

Hi @ivan , it is from the surface to the MINI , if the object is 10cm in diameter, then outside wall is the starting point and not the center . If you are too close you will see it on on the top of the screen where the 4 distance reference are However objects at 10 cm distance should be small , 3-5cm , however nobody can stop you from scanning bigger . For 10cm distance it is recommend to use steady setup and turntable for the best accuracy and quality , object scanned at this accuracy and precision can’t have too much shaking while scanning if you want to get the best from it .

The optimal distance is between 10-20cm but you can still scan at 25-30 cm as well with little less fine micro details but still very good precision .

2 Likes

Thank you for answering!

1 Like

You welcome my friend !

1 Like

sorry but how can i get 5 micron accuracy? the mini advertises a 50 micron accuracy…

The Accuracy is 20 microns , the resoultion is also 20 microns ( advertised as 50 but it is actually 20 . The scan can pick up layers of 3-5 microns on the surface .
I scanned finger prints with my scans what are around 7.5+ microns on average, and tested with 3 microns layers of 3D liquid . The scan is better that actually advertised at 10 cm distance .

I also tested for Revopoint internal software with 10 microns resolution , but it took lots of data and resource for processing so they decided to go with slightly higher values as it requires lots of virtual memory to process and long processing time .

1 Like