Definitely need a how-to with WiFi pairing

Received my POP the other day, psyched on trying it out. I understand it pairs to my phone rather than vice versa. I’ve changed my phone’s name to POP, as well as changed the password to 12345678. From here what’s the secret? I open the app and it tells me to confirm WiFi, password, network. Not sure what to do. POP has been tried both plugged into usb as well as plugged into a power supply.

Did you specify WPA2 security on your phone?

Wow, I’m not even sure I know how to do such lol.

Hi @Schurg Check it here: User's Manual for Android & iOS HandyScan_20210416

1 Like

You don’t have to rename your phone and password… You have to create a hotspot on your phone and call that hotspot “POP” with “12345678” as the password. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Those are the directions I’ve been following. Unfortunately on IOS devices those instructions don’t seem to match up. I’ll try another device.

Exactly. My iPhone SE will not connect with POP. The instructions do not match the manual and the control over the iPhone hot spot is very limited.

Hi @Schurg @RocketSled @Rikhan @mrehmus Now you can revise the Wi-Fi name and password on Windows version Handy Scan, check this post: [Update] The New Windows Version of Handy Scan(V2.4.7)-20210430

Unfortunately, that is not the problem. The problem is the iPhone does not allow a password as far as I can tell. I can change the hotspot name to POP or the POP name to anything else in the new software. But that does not solve the basic problem that the iPhone either doesn’t do this or I am ignorant (even though I used Apple’s instructions for doing so).

When the iPhone connects to the a WAP (=POP), if it needs a password, it should ask you for a password. I hate Apple products (I’m a computer science type), but my wife loves them so I have to deal with them. I don’t remember the actual steps in detail, but I do remember for certain there’s a way to enter a password. I must have set up a dozen different Apple products on my home network which uses WPA2 same as the POP.

Something might be messed up with the configuration of you phone’s WiFi. Like, is it a work phone that is remotely administrated by your company’s IT department, maybe they have the necessary features disabled?

The issue I was having was that my phone was still connecting to my normal WiFi. When I disconnect from WiFi then the pop links up and all is good. Until the app crashes. But that’s a different story.

Dunno if it can be done with any phone, but mine also allows to specify a maximum number of connections to the hotspot. For security reasons I did set it to 1.
I also wish I could change the password and hotspot name that the scanner is listening for from my phone, because I currently busted my PC.