Dark object scanning

Are you only be able to frost abjects with AB2-G (cause you use it with your air brush, which produces probably a thinner layer), or is this also possible with an AB2 spray can?

I use now exclusive only AB2-G with my airbrush , but used before AB2 in a can and the frosting effect was not different, you just use less with the can , one spray and wait a second , sometimes it looks like nothing on top of the surface but it works well even if you still see the color of the object .
Both works wonderful .

Of course with Airbrush you have better control ( not wasting too much of the product) but still the layer can’t go below 3 microns no matter can or airbrush when using AB2

1 Like

thank you Pop! One last question: Would you recommend me using the new AESUB transparent for scanning dark colored objects too?
I know you like ATTBLIME more, but look at this: 3D Scan of Coca Cola bottle using AESUB transparent - YouTube
The finish looks also frozen and colors can be scanned as well + its vanishes also…

I showed in my MINI thread scan of a dark green leaf that still had a color and was visible by MINI , same as the coca cola .

It is up to you my friend , I believe AESUB is so overpriced here for a little in a can they offers , $56 in one can that allows me to scan maybe 2 objects is really not efficient for me .
Plus personally I don’t like their formula, smell etc …

You can try and find what is the best works for you .

Whatever you choose, make sure it last at least 2h , 1h is not enough it will vanish on the edges before you finish scanning .

You see Attblime AB2 is semi transparent, I saw people using AESUB transparent in the forum as well with airbrush . But it looks so similar to AB2 .

Sometimes they offer small samples , get some and test out .

Just a quick note, ATTBLIME launched a new scanning spray, ‘ABX-G’ that apparently is a lot whiter than AB2-G and therefore scans better. It is also thinner (0.3mm) in application so you retrieve more detail. But it sublimates faster than AB2-G.

1 Like

wow 300 microns ? that must be the worse 3D spray in the total universe :joy:… just kidding it is 0.00300 so 3 microns when used with airbrush spray , AB2-G is 3.7 microns when used with airbrush spray and I do love to use most of them , since it don’t block the colors and deliver perfect scan no matter metal or stone while keeping colors for reference ,

White color means nothing when it get about scanning using infrared , it is about what the material it was made of , infrared can perfectly reflect from black cotton as it do from white cotton , no difference , but black silicone or black paint yes .

I will test them both side to side to see the difference in practice , however for use with MINI I would not recommend ABX series , too white is not too good for use with Blue laser light , light gray works better or AB2 series.

USA Shop : Container 60% more than in a can ATTBLIME ABX-G scanning spray sublimating up to 2 hours – 1,000 ml reusable container – ATTBLIME – HIGH PERFORMANCE 3D SCANNING SPRAY
and for can : ATTBLIME ABX 3D scanning spray sublimating up to 2 hours – ATTBLIME – HIGH PERFORMANCE 3D SCANNING SPRAY

3 Likes

Ah yes haha 300 micron is likely wrong! I didn’t think about that, just mentioned what they told me in email, but I think they meant 0.3mm nozzle:

Dear Hugo,

Thank you for using our ATTBLIME products!

In principle, ABX-G can be applied even finer. Depending on the nozzle, the layer thickness with 0.3 mm ist the best.

However, due to the fine application, the sublimation time is significantly faster.

ABX-G has the advantage that, as a matting agent, it is significantly whiter and therefore also has better scannability.

BR

Damian

Von: Hugo
Datum: 16. Juni 2023 um 09:26:10 MESZ
An: [mail@attblime.com]
Betreff: ABX-G vs AB2-G

Dear ATTBLIME Team,

I already use your AB2-G in an airbrush with 0.3-0.5mm nozzle for scanning small parts, but now I see you launched the ABX-G, what is the difference between the two?

Kind regards,

Hugo

1 Like

This means the layer can get below 3,7 microns 0.0037 mm when using Airbrush with a 0.3mm nozzle
I ordered yesterday , will test out soon while scanning my DSLR Nikon using this 3D spray .

Could it also be that because it’s more white that you need less so you get thinner layer and easier application? Down side is you get less color for RGB maybe… but for black PVC parts maybe good stuff…

The color is not the issue , it is the surface , one is absorbing the other not regardless of color . When scanning with infrared the colors don’t really matters , What you need is to block the surface from absorbing or diffusing the infrared light pattern on the surface .

I guess we going to find out in practice very soon , I am going to scan rubberized black surface what is the worse … hopefully it perform well as the rest of Attblime products .

If it have more particles then the layer will be much thicker , since all their sprays use the same stuff , hopefully it perform well … can’t wait !

Interesting, I didn’t know it’s about the surface and not about the color… Though I have no experience with the POP3 yet, I had the feeling my MINI had difficulty scanning red or orange objects… and black ones… but white or blue seemed to work better… I’d use the ABX mainly with my mini to scan very intricate objects with fine details like mini’s or parts with embossing etc… I still need to learn a lot about scanning with red light.

MINI don’t use infrared , it use Blue Laser Light , so color that absorb blue can’t be scanned , red, yellow, brown, green etc…
For that reason you need 3D spray .

Infrared reflects from all colors … so all colors can be scanned .

3 microns would be 0.003 mm.

A micron is 1/1000 of a millimeter.

Yes Bary that’s correct my typo , MINI accuracy is 0.02 mm so 20 microns .

1 Like

Hi @hugonl38 , testing right now the new Attblime AB X series indeed much whiter than AB 2 , but the layer is also very fine, AESUB Blue is a snowfall in comparison . Still testing how long it will stay on , but so far amazing results , it also do not interfere with MINI exposure when scanning very close up objects …
It covers the color of the object as well , however you don’t need a lot

my new favorite
for USA : ATTBLIME ABX 3D scanning spray sublimating up to 2 hours – ATTBLIME – HIGH PERFORMANCE 3D SCANNING SPRAY

2 Likes

Great @PUTV ! Thanks for your review. I also just received it yesterday and did a quick test last night with the MINI, scanning a round, shiny black puck. It did indeed scan very easily and I needed very little spray, using a battery powered airbrush with 0.3mm nozzle, it also didn’t clog. I couldn’t see any texture or blobs of the scanning spray in the resulting mesh, so I agree it must be very thin. It does smell different from the AB2, I hope it doesn’t react with any surfaces, otherwise there is also the new AB-Eco line that is water-based apparently? But that one should be semi-permanent so needs washing off…

It actually don’t smelling much unless you smell the object .The air rather OK compared to AB2 …
I scanned for a test my watch , hopefully it don’t react :grin:. I only had issues with AESUB , but since this one uses mixture of components we don’t know yet , best way to spray something on a penny or quarter and leave it on until next day to see if any oxidation happened on the coins .

it was indeed gone after 2 hours , on polish metal slightly faster …

They have also the solvent free used in Museums and Archeology, but the layer is rather thick 0.03mm I think 30 microns , would be ok for POP2-3 and Range

here my small test , come to conclusion that more is better with this ABX Spray , full coverage deliver less noises , where AB2 was just for frosting to matte the surface . This one performs better when everything is covered and there are no contrasts between the spray and color of the surface .

2 Likes