Dark object scanning

You answered yourself the question :cowboy_hat_face:

@PUTV So by the time I had seen your reply I had already put some of the AESUB on the coin. Using a cotton swab I put it on the rim and part of the face. I have seen 0 negative effects on the coin from it now that the AESUB has gone away. That really leaves two options, the formulation of the different AESUB, or something on the coin interacting with the AESUB.

Either way I plan on trying the ATTBLIME when I get low on my AESUB, especially if it gives a finer coating

1 Like

It was after the Orange , I never had issues with Blue , I leave it on to evaporate as usual , then 2 weeks later I was about to scan it again and boom a surprise .
The regular USA quarter also reacted to it so not just the dollar coins . I read on internet that others had issues as well .

I tested Attblime on the same coins and no reaction .

It is much finer than AESUB, comparing snow to frost , sometimes you spray so mething and it looks like there is nothing , but scans so well . Great reduction of noises . I was testing both next to each other on a black board with some markets on , the AESUB showed one flat surface , Attblime showed also the thickness of the paper markers and last exactly 2 hours next to heavy air flow , where AESUB blue starting vanishing after 30 min .

And of course the coin scanning was much more successful with Attblime . Not to mention the price $28 vs $56
For 1 liter vs 1 can .

Anyway I was sold

You can use dry shampoo most stores stock dry shampoo spray.

If you use POP or POP2 yes , however dry shampoo will alter the accuracy and fine details when used with MINI . MINI can pick up already a layer of 3 microns .

When using any kind of spray , it is important to have equal layer no matter what device you use , any changes in tone of the layer will alter the accuracy and dimension, for example over sprayed hot spots that are brighter than the rest will result in slightly bumps on the edges . For that reason having one equal tone of the surface is important in precision and accuracy .

Question, when using AESUB Green or ATTBLIME with an airbrush, what do I need to consider?

I just bought this item:

With max 25psi and a 0.3mm nozzle. It has a battery powered compressor with dual action airbrush. I was hoping it would work with AESUB Green, since another user on Facebook posted he uses something similar with AESUB Green. My questions are:

-is the nozzle diameter big enough?
-how do I clean the cup after using AESUB, can I use water or do I need IPA or something else?
-could I dilute it with something to make it spray thinner?

I hate the smell of AESUB Orange, the spray can is empty too fast, it’s too expensive and I can’t apply just thin layer or cover small parts without blasting my whole workplace full of the stuff, it’s just too coarse of an application for such small parts we are scanning with the MINI. I was hoping for more control with an Airbrush and AESUB Green. But ATTBLIME sounds interesting too, maybe better? Where best to get it in Europe?

I have similar to yours , you will need 0.7 to 0.8 mm needle/nozzle the use Attblime AB2-G container spray , it is double cheaper than can , and it just frosting your surface very delicate matting it not covering it like AESUB , I tested both on the side and the AB2-G was the winner , less smell , last longer and actually exactly as they wrote .

I only use now Attblime spray

I got myself additional airbrush for my 3D spraying that I connect to my other compressor battery . But you can just buy a 0.7 or 0.8mm nozzle for yours if they offer it .

TIMBERTECH Multi-Purpose Airbrush Set, AG-183K Dual-Action Gravity Feed Airbrush Kits with 0.3/0.5/0.8mm Needles, 2/5/13CC Fluid Cup for Cake Decorating, Painting, Tattoo, Models Art https://a.co/d/9f36z0R

2 Likes

Thank you. I found a distributor of ATTBLIME in Europe:

Yes, the AB2-G seems the best option. I selected the free try package with all three to start. But will be ordering more AB2-G if it works good.

In the data sheet I found an answer to my questions:

Apparently you can use any Airbrush nozzle diameter up to 0.75mm, so also 0.3mm should work? I will try it first.

My question how to clean the Airbrush gun after use with AB2-G, it says basis is ‘Alcohol + Hydrocarbons’, does that mean I need IPA to clean the basket and nozzle? How do you clean it?

it refer to above <0.75 mm
0.3mm going to be clogged with it but hey you can try. It ‘dry’ very quickly

ATTBLIME use genuine cyclodecane , very appreciated by tech designers and engineers
The layer is only 3.6 microns

You know that you can also use a very soft brush to paint with it on the surface , sometimes I covering only the black areas on the surface .

1 Like

If only I could get a hold of this stuff:

Must be very expensive though… And seems to be unobtainium in EU.

O.5-1 microns looks good :+1: $60 per can
And you have already your airbrush that can handle it .

1 Like

But don’t get yourself crazy , using 3 or 0.5 micron spray with airbrush will make not a huge difference here and waste of founds.
You will need 10 microns accuracy scanner to see the difference at least.

2 Likes

I guess you are right… I asked AESUB Germany for an offer, they don’t seem to sell it anywhere here in EU, only to retailers. If I can get a good deal I might try it.

But ATTBLIME AB2-G is insanely cheaper, like exactly 10x cheaper. So if AESUB Yellow is not 10x better, it’s a waste. Only thing that might make a difference is that AESUB Yellow is thinner, so you need less per square inch, so maybe that can offset the price difference.

I will try both if I can get a hold. So I need 0.7mm nozzle for AB2-G and 0.3mm nozzle for Yellow.

1 Like

Attblime AB2-G is 3.6 microns if I good remember so it is very fine compared to Aesub Blue 15-20 microns and perfect for MINI

You can actually frosting with AB2-G and still see colors but scan without issue with MINI .

Aesub Orange was 6 microns what was good but very reactive with some metals .

So I switched to ATTBLIME completely now . It last also very long .

The nozzle … it state the maximum required is 0.75 mm so it was maximum indeed . To be honest I did not tried with 0.3mm nozzle as I have other one for this , but you know I can try tomorrow, it vanishing after all so not need to clean after usage just left open .

I will let you know how well it works with 0.3 mm noozle

1 Like

Just received a bottle of AESUB Yellow:

200ml for 65€, so 325€/liter

Very expensive. But maybe with a 0.3mm airbrush nozzle and their (claimed) 0,5-1um layer thickness it only needs a few drops to cover small parts for MINI. I haven’t received my airbrush yet, so have to wait to test.

It says you only need 0.5-1.5 bar, so my cheap portable battery powered airbrush will hopefully manage. I was hoping the layer is so thin, that we can even collect RGB data below… so we can scan dark colored objects.

1 Like

That’s expensive indeed .
I never used this one before as it was not available .
When I am frosting my objects with Attblime you can still see the colors but they are toned down of course other way you would be not able to scan it otherwise.

However with this 3D liquid I am sure you will get great results on fine details and hopefully scan successfully an euro coin , jewelry and electronics .

I am sure your 0.3mm nozzle will be just fine for that .
Just think each extra layer will add another micron on top … it is best to see through the Depth cam if you need a second layer . Since you can’t eyeball it at that level as it will be barely visible to your eye .

P.S when you scan an object that have just partial black or hard scanning colors , you can use very soft acrylic brush and just paint over the difficult to scan colors to save on the spray .

Can you please clarify? I think the same thing as @hugonl38, that the spec ‘<0,75mm’ means that you should use a nozzle smaller than 0.75mm. I’ve seen other posts, however that state 0.7 to 0.8mm nozzles should be used. I have a limited supply so can’t do too many experiments to determine best nozzle size.
TIA.

I researched and it says to maximum 0.75mm nozzle to keep the layer at 3 microns , if you don’t care about the layer microns you can use a nozzle as you like , there are no limitations .

But I tried with my 0.3mm and it get clogged so I am using it with my 0.8mm

1 Like

Quick update, I received my portable airbrush and did some testing. It has a 0.3mm standard nozzle (the ones they all have on amazon or aliexpress). It has a fairly weak compressor too. It works very well with ATTBLIME AB2G. I just add a few drops in the cup and can easily cover small objects with a very fine layer. It works beautifully. I can choose from extremely thin, almost non-existent layer all the way to full white coverage just like with spray can.

It takes very long to cover an object fully with a thick layer, if you want that for using lower exposure settings in the depth camera. With my 0.3mm nozzle it is good for very thin layer so you can even see the color for use with RGB color mode, but it can still see the depth, I tried with a black shiny object and even thin layer that I cannot see with eye is enough for depth camera, but you need high gain then.

But I do think with 0.5mm or so it would be faster for larger objects. I ordered a 0.5mm nozzle to try, they are cheap. Just make sure to get needle and head too. They don’t have 0.7mm nozzle, but there is a different airbrush that supports it, the one with ‘floating’ nozzle. I might try one of those too, but for now I think 0.3-0.5mm is fine.

1 Like

This is going to last me years…

1 Like