We need higher quality mesh setting for MINI!

I’m loosing a lot of detail from the point cloud to mesh conversion.
Please allow higher quality meshing / denser meshing. @Revopoint

I’m getting great detail in the pointcloud scan from the mini, but the meshing density is killing the nice scan and turning into blobs.

We should have a smaller grid size, especially for the mini to mesh fine details.

PS: I understand the reasoning to lock the mesh density to reduce noise, but for very fine detail scans on small object, this is a problem

PPS: even a simple option to increase the scale of the point cloud before meshing would allow higher density meshing ( based off grid size anyway )

see example

4 Likes

Hi john,

Thank you very much for the suggestion about RevoScan! I’ll send it to the dev team to see what we can do about it.

Are you using the V5.4.10 version?

1 Like

Hi, that would be great, its sorely need, I get great pointclouds, but meshing is not detailed enough for my needs.

I’m using 5.4.9 , does the new version change this function?

I test on 5.4.10 no change in result.

I meshed the pointcloud in cloudcompare on level 11 and the mesh result is much better, this is the density I would like to see in revoscan

here is comparison, green mesh is from cloud compare

3 Likes

Ok I can see the difference, yes definitely lose of edges and curves , good comparison John !

yes, another level would be great to get all those juicy details for small items

2 Likes

I am with you on that !

2 Likes

Just add level 7 globally, because it will go back to level 6 max as soon as you have to export/import for some sort of edit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But isn’t the mesh resolution connected with the fusing resolution? Would fusing in advanced mode at higest level allow a higher level “7”?

1 Like

yes, the mini can capture much more detail then the current mesh density allows, so another level of meshing as seen in the example will be more useful for MINI users.

Once you start merging scans (on any of the current scanners) you can exceed level 6 even at moderate point distances. If you’re insane like me you’re trying for 20’ wide, 10’ tall and 50 million faces with a Range. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Merging scans do not increase accuracy , the point distance is still the same as after fusing .
Everything you do after fusing will only decrease the accuracy , no matter it is merging or meshing .

For some scanners like Range series , merging decrease the accuracy after meshing as there are not extra levels available after .
Range series suffer mostly from lower meshing level than it should .

Point distance after Fusing is the final point distance and nothing can change it ( increase the accuracy ) . If you have a cube with 4 points , meshing it at double level will not magically increase the accuracy but duplicate the main points .

However as John stated , in some cases the meshing grid level is lower than the fusing resolution . Usually with objects bigger than 15cm , and that goes mostly for all scanners that scan objects bigger than previously set by its profile .

For proper usage you still need to watch the Grid when setting the Meshing level , if the proper Grid level is not available , then you know you gonna lose the details and you should (for now) mesh it in Cloud Compare .

If the fusing Grid is 0.08 and meshing Grid allows 0.04 it will not increase the accuracy but only duplicate the points and induce more noises .

Also pls remember Revo Scan OpenGL preview do not include smoothed normals ,what you see is what you get .
Smoothed normals are available after Texturing only .

3 Likes

This kind of " craziness " is beyond of the capacity with Revo Scan 5 at this moment .

I have already issue with 6 feet objects and meshing using Range series … it is simple too low .