Textures with Revoscan 5xx

I posted about issues with getting holes and odd coloration in the texture files when scanning horse bones with the POP3 and processing with Revoscan 5.1, then 5.2.2.

My question here is, I see a lot of posts showcasing scans on the forum of colorful objects that look perfect. Am I the only one having this issue?

The meshes are beautiful so I think I am doing ok with the basic scanning technique, but as soon as the texture file is applied, in 3 out of 4 scans, it is unusable.

I included photos in my other post (Texture File with Holes). But attached is a photo of the latest …

Thanks for any feedback,
Pamela aka Bone Lady

Can you also post an image of the object being scanned in case we all don’t know what a horse bone is supposed to look like?

Of course! Here is the link to the same (neck) bone. This was the 4th attempt at scanning (with POP3) that ended up with a relatively decent texture file. These scans were taken under the same lighting conditions.

There were discolorations that I corrected in Photoshop (except for the dark area that I couldn’t correct). But the major difference is this texture file did not have all of the “tears” as illustrated in the photo I shared earlier.

It’s the inconsistency of the texture files that is troublesome. And very time consuming as I have to do approx. 3-5 scans before I get a usable texture file.

Thank you for taking a look!

Hi Pamela , nobody have the old version of RS for MAC I asked my friends .

However after saw your first post I come to conclusion that there is a lot of other discolorations and shadows from other light source than POP3 LED , that may be problematic , the best results you see by other users in the forum was in most cases scanned with very low ambient light when using LED , the RGB exposure set manual , to a slightly lower level , LED ON . The dark spots appear usually only if there is missing data or actual shadow or missing RGB data , that may be the case of the bad fusing bug …

New software is on the way already , it may fix your issues very soon

2 Likes

Hello Catharina,
That is very interesting about the lighting. I currently use 2 day-light lamps and adjust the LED manually. But I will experiment with less light and keep my fingers crossed that the new software has a fix.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi Pamela , the new RS is out, please try my suggestions with the new software .

Set the ambient light as dark as you can ,
Set the RGB Exposure to manual and turn on the LED , adjust the manual exposure until you see perfect color in preview , slightly darker is always better than over exposed.

My best color results was always in almost darkness when using LED of POP3 … If you have a Lightbox that would help . If not a simple cardboard box will works .
It will helps to stop leaking environmental light colors into the textured .

1 Like

Downloaded and ready to try as per your suggestions!

In reference to a lightbox (as an x-pro photographer I have several, LOL) … how do I use it in the scanning set-up?

Thanks!!

Just to block the ambient light out so it don’t affect the white balance of your bones , I had best color results when there was minimal ambient light , just put the turntable in the light box and scanner in front of it , just like you taking photos of your objects using Lightbox, no difference , turn the light box light off if available , turn thr scanner LED ON, right now the auto white balance cant be set off , but in future versions it will be available so you can use own light source .

1 Like

Reporting in with results of my “experiment” scanning my horse neck bones with the new Revoscan vers 5.2.3 (with POP3) under a variety of lighting conditions.

Following your (Catharina) suggestion, I set the bone on the turntable in a box, no room lights and used the LCDs with manual adjustments. Same bone for all scans. For one scan, I went back to using LCD in auto mode, because most of the other scans were rather dark.

The good news is that none of the texture files had tears! However, the textures of all of these scans still had a “rainbow” color effect, to varying degrees. None of these textures represented the true coloration of the bone.

For the last scan, I returned to the set-up I have been using all along, wherein I took the bone/turntable out of the box and set it in front of a white background with one overhead desk lamp equipped with a daylight bulb. I set the LCD on manual. The result of this scan was a mixed bag. The coloration of the bone was true to life, there were regions of the “rainbow” coloration but not obnoxious… however… there were 2 tears :frowning:.

I can add photos of the final, texturized models, or upload them to my Sketchfab account if anyone is interested.

I mostly hope this information will get to, and be helpful for, the Revopoint software gurus!

Bone Lady aka Pamela

Hi Pamela thanks , the white balance is not yet fixed to the fullest , this can cause discolorations ( rainbow effect ) when the colors shifting . The POP3 id in general oversaturated so the color textures need manual color correction as even with DLSR you can’t get that 100% without recalibration of the images .

Hopefully soon the white balance get fixed so we can set the proper color and tone manually .

Thanks again for your report !