Scanning with Mini a small amonite and Inspire

Here’s a scan of a amonite (fossil of a shell). It sizes about 35 mm. Do you thnink I could get more details? If yes, how? I used one led light below the mini and another led light above the fossil to remove all shadow.

It’s a very good scan, but maybe just to try ( and this doesn’t mean you will get better ), you can narrow the clipping plane to the minimum ( the scan distance min-max ) and put the scanner to the closest you can. Then try to point to 3/4 of one side and then rotate the scanner to point to the other 3/4 of the other side. I don’t know if you will get better, but that’s what I would try.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try. I have noticed something disturbing (for me) : while the software says the scanner distance is excellent, the camera shows in the left the object out of focus. Maybe it is not a matter, but I still put the scanner back when it occurs. What’s your opinion ?

Here’s a big one with Inspire. Texture are too blurry in my taste.

I know, and in fact I think that may be a problem for the scanner to grab color… but I don’t mind too much since in my case my goal is shape, not color. So I use the rgb just to check where I’m pointing at.

did you tried to tweak it in photoshop?