MINI - HardyGIS 3D Showcase and Progress

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a MINI for my research on digitizing small cultural heritage objects. I’ve tried (and had some moderate success with) 3D photogrammetry using Agisoft Metashape, but after a great deal of research I decided that a structured light scanner is probably the best way to efficiently and accurately create 3D models of these objects.

Some background:
The objects I am documenting are stamp seals from late antique Western Asia. They range in size from a few millimeters in diameter to a few centimeters. They are largely made of carnelian, agate, and chalcedonies, so they present unique problems for capturing the reds and yellows with the MINI’s blue light. As one can imagine, I can’t coat these objects with anything to make scanning easier (both in reference to color absorption and reflectiveness), so I am slowly working through alternatives to scanning slightly shiny, colored objects.

While I hope that one day I can reach the level of PUTV, we all have to start somewhere!

As I am brand new to using any sort of structured light scanner, I am more than happy to get any tips or tricks you may have!

My first scan:

As you can see, there is a LOT of noise/bumpiness on an otherwise smooth surface. I hypothesize that this is due to the reflective nature of the object. This is after processing each “chunk” separately (remove isolates, remove overlapping) and then processing the merged point cloud (same process) before meshing.

While it isn’t great, I am still quite happy with the results for being the first time I ever used the scanner.

I look forward to showing off any progress I make and learning more from you all!

Hi John,
It would be useful to help you to see the real object

This is isn’t exactly the same object, but it is of the same material composition (agate):

(this an image from my photogrammetry setup, and isn’t the setup I use for 3D scanning.)