Scan of cylinder head ports using MINI

1st use of MINI was to try and grab the detail for this cylinder head inlet and exhaust ports before the unit was sent for re-machining.
MINI is perfect for this as not only does it grab the detail but it can ‘peer’ into areas that larger scanners cannot do due to the shorter distance between the two cameras.

Ports are 30mm in diameter to give a sense of scale :grin:

Final image is 3x scans of the cylinder head roof aligned to the individual inlet and exhaust scans:

As always here is the model to view yourself- note it has been significantly compressed to meet the 100mb upload limit to sketchfab, the original file set is over 500mb due to the crazy detail scanned.

3 Likes

Hey Jon,
Been following your YT as you have done some great work with POP2 in automotive applications (I’m into bike tho, but similar intended workflow).

I’m learning to scan (original POP1 KS backer) so I can bring in bike frames/engines into F360 so I can design mods etc.

Trying to figure out if I need to cough up for a MINI (or upgrade my POP1 to a POP2), but haven’t come across a clear explanation of whether it will be needed or not.

Have you determined the application range for each device? ie “use POP2 for A,B and C. Use MINI for D,E and F”.

Any experience you can share would be helpful…

Cheers
Matt

Have you seen this thread - MINI- PUTV 3D Models Showcase Progress & Tips - #100 by PopUpTheVolume - @PUTV has some great scans and comparisons going on there that may help you also! I am also an original POP 1 backer (who hasnt had the time or patience to really even mess with it sigh) and from what I can gather the mini does really nicely for the finer details (actually I think Pop says that exact same thing in t hat thread lol) and the 1 and 2 are more of a general scanner for the basic shape.
I hope that helps you at least a little ! Have fun scanning and making :slight_smile:

2 Likes

awesome mate! At uni we used to cast plugs in silicone and then scan those to get the full ports

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen his work, its awesome, I’m just not sure I need to scan objects that small at that resolution. Would it be “better” for my application? Possibly. Can my PC hardware handle the scans? Maybe not. I’ve got these application-specific questions and not sure where I can find answers.The Revo video for the MINI (New Revopoint Mini 3D Scanner with Blue-Light projector - YouTube) shows scans of an engine block and motorcycle tank so maybe I should be relying on these…?

Matt, before you decide , make sure your system has at least 16GB of RAM , that is most important thing in this decision . Objects that you plan to scan could be heavy in data and will need lots of memory to be processed, especially point fusion .
You will definitely profit from MINI , but not unless your PC hardware can handle it .

I scanned a small watch yesterday using MINI , the software used over 13GB of RAM only for the software, not the rest of the system what was additional 10GB …

That is the major point here to consider , and what kind of object you going to scan really don’t matters , as long you go for accuracy and perfect resolution of objects at maximum 50x50x50 cm

2 Likes