Going BIG with a Revopoint MINI... ! :)

Hey all…

Found my way here through posts made by @TinWhisperer over on the Lanmuir Plasma CNC forums.

CNC-cutting of metal plate is definitely a huge forward step in my home shop, but being able to do 3D scanning to build actual digital models takes it even further!!! Ordered up a MINI today (8/25) and based on the backlog of orders, might be doing the first 3D scans sometime in September?

Admittedly this is jumping in to the deep end of the pool here… because my intention is to do a full-vehicle scan.

Rumor has it that there are at least a few other folks on this forum who are already doing this kind of scanning, so if anyone feels pointing me in the right direction that would be great!

Thanks, and look forward to participating a lot more around here.

-TM

4 Likes

Hi TM,
Welcome! I hope you can have a good journey here. Enjoy scanning!

1 Like

wow scanning that with MINI ? nobody do that with MINI ,but good luck with that ! I will check out on your progress …

1 Like

Well, I’ll be watching your efforts! Looks like you have lots of opportunities for experiments so SOMETHING is bound to come out of this!

Have fun!

1 Like

@TomWS

Thanks… looks like there are quite a few familiar faces over on this forum as well!!! :slight_smile:

They say that the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time… so the plan is to start with something small to experiment.

Don’t know all of the terminology yet, but I’ve seen some videos suggesting that using a “standard” scan resolution makes more sense here. Don’t need the ultra-high resolution anyway and it just creates enormous models that take forever to work with. One video suggested doing a few quick scans of the same part… then creating a “mesh” of each… then using an application called “Blender” you are able to overlay them and effectively create a very accurate model of the desired part. It takes a little longer than just doing a single high-res scan but it is a lot less CPU / RAM-intensive and is less likely to crash the machine if you build using smaller mesh scans. What is interesting is that it sounds like you can always go back later on to add more layers if you decide you want more detail from a specific part…

So much to learn, but it is all really fascinating!

-G

1 Like