Revopoint MINI - MONTREAL

Hello,
Is there anyone or any organization (FABLAB, school…) in the Montreal area that has a REVOPOINT MINI and would allow me to perform a test on a specific sample that I have? I am thinking to purchase one but I am really not sure that it will work for my specific project (scan a metallic powder layer (non-reflective) and capture the surface topology in single frame mode). I tried with the POP and the results were not accurate enough.
Thank you

Hi, I do not recommend to use a single frame scanning , not for POP2 or MINI , the devices are not created for single frame scanning of any surfaces , as you going to result with lots of noises doing so, doing single frame you capturing only 2 dimensional object and the rest that is missed is generated virtually and not accurate . Measuring distance point accuracy with a single frame is completely different thing for a different purpose where the object 3D dimension not really matters but the distance between 2 single points .
There are people that confusing the hell out of it .
There is not a single frame scanning data available as single frame is not enough for a fusion to take process in Revo Scan, and scanning 5 -10 frames of the same surface at the same time without movement is not a single frame scanning , it is overlapping of frames resulting in bad fusing and bad accuracy .

You can scan with MINI a layer of dust , it can pick well a layer of 3D scanning spray since it has not only better accuracy but also 80% higher pitch point resolution than POP2 .

The smallest detail on a volume surface I was able to capture is s human finger print at 10cm distance from the device .

Upload a close up picture and I will tell you if you can scan it or not and how much details you can capture with MINI .

1 Like

Thank you for the response.

In my setup, the sample to be scanned is fixed, and I need to perform the measurement on a large number of samples hence my idea of using the single frame mode. I could fit the scanner on a motorized stage to create the needed movements and reduce the number of measurements to be performed.

“The smallest detail on a volume surface I was able to capture is s human fingerprint at 10cm distance from the device .” That’s impressive, it should be more than enough to detect the artifacts I am analyzing (±100µm height deviation)

Attached is an example of a powder layer (10cm*10cm) to be analyzed.

Thank you

1 Like

So far I detected height layer deviation of 3µm what is very small thanks to higher resolution of the pitch point distance , the software allows you to fuse at 0.02mm .

POP2 don’t have enough pitch point resolution to do that .

If you can create slightly movement at 10cm distance using MINI , you may capture the deviations without issue or noises .

I can try to recreate this for you to check out if it works .
What is the layer height of the powder from the surface ?

1 Like

Below the measurement I did with a 3D Optical Profiler VR-5000 - KEYENCE. We can see the height profile varies between +54µm to -33µm according to the reference mid plane

“If you can create slightly movement at 10cm distance using MINI” regarding the movement to create, what would you recommand: vertical displacement, tilt, pan ?

Thank you

1 Like

I would recommend horizontal movement for best results at slightly angle, but I need to run a test first to find the best angle , as not all positions can capture the finest differences and each surface need to be tested before .

I will run some tests tonight and post the results on various height of the layers .
But from the picture your posted , it may have no issue to capture the details , but there are also rules , what color is the material and the proper gain setting regarding the material , you may also lose some tracking if there are no variations detected . MINI is visual scanner so it relays on variations of the surface for proper scanning .
Also very high contrast in color can affect the surface results where darker surface may be higher than light surface due the gain variations . So if your scanned sample has one color the results are the best . And of course reflections are your enemy as it produces false positives .

I will catch up with you later when I am back home around 3 hours from now .

1 Like

Thank you for the insightful comment.
I can add a small mechanism to move the scanner horizontally and include a small angle during the displacement.
The color of the material is grey as seen in my previous comment.
I may add some markers in the surrounding area to help with the tracking.
The area of interest is the powder (non-reflective). It is surrounded by an aluminum substrate (highly reflective as seen in the picture). With the POP, I used the “Dark” mode and it could easily focus on the powder and neglect the surrounding aluminum substrate (I don’t know if the MINI will work the same).
Thank you

1 Like

that is a very good approach, I made some tests , but need more time to be precise , I need to find out if the 3 microns layer is real or optical illusion created by the scanner due to color contrast , I am sure 7.5 microns can be scanned for sure but if anything below that I need to make more tests to be 100% sure if the 3 microns are optical side effect or not.
From your picture it seems like you will have no big problem scanning the powder differences but how physically accurate they are , only you can find out .

So give me little more time on that .

1 Like

Thank you for your time, the 7.5µm sensitivity is already great.

1 Like