POP 2 - handheld scanning - scanning a sculpture 65 cm tall - result and comparison with the same sculpture scanned with Creality Cr Scan 01

Hi everyone,
in today’s post I show you the result of the scan of a sculpture 65 cm tall.

Scanning was done by hand holding the scanner.

The fluidity of the scanner is remarkable and manages to resume tracing well after each stop. Whenever I stopped scanning I ran the “complete” command to fusing the points. After that I restarted the scan.
By “stop and go” of the scan, I could only have two parts (the front and the back) which I then edited, aligned and meshed with Meshlab.

The result is quite interesting.

Finally, I add, for comparison, the scan of the same sculpture made with the Creality Cr Scan 01 scanner.

The 3D scanning was done, as in the case of POP 2, in two parts (at the maximum possible resolution).

In this case the alignment of the two parts was done within the Creality scanning software (CR Studio).

Meshlab was used for the creation of the mesh and for the editing operation.

The 3D scanning was done, as in the case of POP 2, in two parts (at the maximum possible resolution).

In this case the alignment of the two parts was done within the Creality scanning software (CR Studio).

Meshlab was used for the creation of the mesh and for the editing operation.

Below is the final result.
As you can see, the model is clean and virtually free of artifacts.
On the other hand, there is a certain loss of detail. The surface is a bit “flat”.

Finally a side by side comparison

7 Likes

An excelent comparison. I considered the CR SCAN 01 before I chose the POP, so I think I made the right decision.

2 Likes

A valuable post, thank you. Do you find meshing in meshlab produces a better, final model than what Handystudio can accomplish? Specifically in the model detailed areas, such as the hair, eyes etc.

Would you be so kind as to list the specific functions used to do this? The (so-called) user manuals I have found for MeshLab reflect the fact that its programming is crowd-sourced and not cohesive.

Thank you very much for this comparison. It reinforces my decision to buy the POP in the first place.

Hi Toaster,
Thank you for appreciation
I use Meshlab, because I can make different meshes and evaluate, and choose, the result that satisfies me the most. I use “screened poisson surface reconstruction”

3 Likes

Hi Jeff Lindstrom,
Thank you for appreciation.
If I can recommend you a tutorial channel (very well done) on using meshlab (he is a programmer of the Meshlab team), https://www.youtube.com/c/MrPMeshLabTutorials/videos.
For alignment of scans 3D Scanning: Alignment - YouTube.
To eliminate portions of the point cloud, parts with artifacts or noised, MeshLab Basics: Selection, part one - YouTube. For the reconstruction of the mesh I use the “Screened Poisson Surface Reconstruction” filter, 3D Scanning: merging with Poisson filter - YouTube).
I hope they can be useful to you

5 Likes

Thank you, kindly. This should be very useful.

Has anyone dared to compare a scan from a POP2 or a MINI with scan from a GOM ATOS ?
Would be very interested to see.