PC power effect on 3D Scan output

Hi,

I have 2 PCs at home. The newer one has a better CPU and GPU, but I never tried Handyscan on it.
Is there any effect of PC power on the performance of the scanner/sowtware ?
So if I try the more powerful PC, is there a possibility that I will have better results ? Specifically I am looking for better capture of darker parts of the objects.

1 Like

Iā€™d expect to see an answer from support or community here.
It is infact an easy question to support.

I use Handyscan on different PCs with very varying power, and on an Android tablet, too. The ā€˜mobileā€™ version (Android) does produce lower resolution outputs, which I find quite annoying, since it seems to be an active software limitation, not an effect of a limited calculation power on a mobile device.
I havenā€™t seen different results from differently powered PCs, only the speed of the fusing and meshing procedure is very different, taking from 20 sec on the most powerful PC to more than 5 min on the least powerful one.

Maybe one reason why noone answered was that ā€œPC power effectā€ seems to mean the effect of the power - i.e. current - a PC can provide through the USB-port, which has no effect on the quality at all. I know I thought so when I read the topic. Furthermore topics get missed, itā€™s quite a busy forum. Certainly noone meant to just ignore the question.

1 Like

Yes. If you bring up Performance Monitor in Windows, you will see that Handy Scan and Handy Studio use all available cores, so the more (hyperthreaded) cores you have, the better.

1 Like

As was pointed out to me, the Android Handy Scan produces a Point Cloud that is the same as on a PC, but the Meshed object will have lower resolution on Android (and, I expect, iPhone).

Just go looking for the Point Cloud in the same folder as the Meshed object (which you cannot avoid creating, for some reason that has not been explained to me).

2 Likes