Ispanico Showcase Beta INSPIRE

Learn more about INSPIRE:

REVOPOINT INSPIRE.

Allow me to introduce the unboxing experience of the latest addition to the Revopoint family: the INSPIRE.

The INSPIRE presents itself as the “little sibling” in the Revopoint lineup, a 3D scanner with an attractive price tag and compact dimensions that have, however, managed to truly impress me with their versatility and scanning capabilities. Despite its reduced features and capabilities compared to the flagship POP3 from Revopoint, the new INSPIRE proves to be an ideal solution for those who want a reliable and user-friendly scanner within a limited budget.

The INSPIRE arrives in the classic white packaging, accompanied by a rich assortment of accessories, as we’ve come to expect from Revopoint’s previous models, starting from the initial POP.

Inside the box, you’ll immediately find the build declaration and a small introductory guide.

The calibration board is also included, offering the potential for future recalibration. The INSPIRE arrives pre-calibrated, needing no initial calibration, except for the 9-axis IMU sensor calibration, which enhances scanning functionality, making tracking smoother and more reliable.

Included in the package is the USB A-USB C connection cable, a USB-A to USB-C adapter, an extendable and adjustable tripod with a screw attachment, a portable turntable with its power cable, a turntable pad with high-visibility reflective markers, adhesive reflective markers, repositionable adhesive putty to assist in holding items in place during scanning, and the truly convenient MagicMat a 500x500mm mat with a black surface adorned with numerous highly visible reflective markers.

The MagicMat’s function is simple yet ingenious: by placing an object on the mat that you wish to scan, particularly uniform objects not suited for feature tracking, and using the Marker scanning mode, achieving a high-quality scan becomes straightforward. With the ample markers on the mat, tracking issues become rare.

Now, let’s move on to the highlight: the INSPIRE scanner itself.

The scanner boasts a relatively compact size of 132x45x27mm and weighs around 140g. On the front, two depth cameras flank a pair of infrared LEDs. Adjacent to the right camera is the RGB camera with its white LED for scene illumination and accurate texture capture. This LED can be toggled on or off from the software during scanning.
In the center, there’s the infrared laser projector for structured light scanning.

The top and sides of the INSPIRE exhibit a clean, rounded design.

At the rear, there’s a USB-C port, following Revopoint’s established pattern starting from the POP3, along with two status LEDs indicating scanner connection. There’s also a physical button to initiate or pause scanning. This button is appropriately sized, thumb-friendly, and offers excellent tactile feedback when using the removable handle grip.

Lastly, the bottom hosts two stickers with device information and a screw mount for attaching the tripod.

The INSPIRE’s features are intriguing, even though it falls into a more budget-friendly price range compared to its larger siblings.
It offers:
-Single-frame Accuracy of 0.2mm,
-Scanning speed of 14-18 fps, a single capture range of 230x140@310mm,
-9-axis IMU (inertial measurement unit),
-minimum scan volume of 50x50x50mm,
-high-speed Wi-Fi 6.0, and USB-C connection.

I must say, this scanner has genuinely surprised me with its ease of use and scan quality. However, I’m confident that the showcases will speak louder than words. I invite you to witness my practical tests to judge the product’s quality for yourselves. Once again, Revopoint manages to amaze us with another exceptional scanner condensed into just 130mm.

Battery-Powered Work Lamp.
I tried scanning a battery-powered work lamp with a flexible head, and the results were excellent.
The scanning was done in various positions using both the Pause function and, above all, the Continue Scanning function available in the context menu of the raw file. I find this feature very convenient because it allows you to continue and integrate successive scanning phases when you notice data gaps in certain areas of the subject.
The scans were done at a rotation speed of 140s in successive stages, totaling over 12,000 frames… Do you think I went overboard? :sweat_smile:
The point clouds were fused in Advanced mode at 0.42mm, and the mesh was created at level 5.9. Subsequently, the file was lightly cleaned in MeshMixer to prepare it for printing.
The result, even capturing the details on a subject like this, is fantastic, from the texture of the rubber to the intricate plastic details and even the screws inside the holes.
I attempted to print a miniature version of the lamp and created a keychain version, perfect for the keys in my workshop.

4 Likes

Reproduction of Motorcycle GPS Mount.
Quick scanning with the Revopoint INSPIRE of a pair of mounts for a satellite navigator to be attached to the motorcycle handlebar.
The scanning of the two pieces was done without any issues in Marker mode at a rotation speed of 200s, and the points were fused in Advanced mode at 0.20 and mesh at level 6.
The file was simply straightened in PrusaSlicer and imported into Fusion360 to easily obtain the 3D model.
Of course, the dimensional accuracy is perfect, and the printed model turned out flawless right from the start, with no need for modifications.

3 Likes

You never disappointing with your showcase Daniele , great work as usual , thanks for sharing !

1 Like

Thank you Catharina, you are too kind.

1 Like

Battery-powered hot glue gun.
Scanned a hot glue gun in a single session using the Pause function and repositioning the object 4 times.
The scans were performed in High Precision mode with a rotation speed of 140s, totaling 7553 frames.
The point cloud was fused in Advanced mode at 0.2mm and mesh at level 6.

4 Likes

simple but with a quality, great job again !

1 Like

Hand-and-a-half sword (Bastard Sword) 14th Century.
I scanned a life-sized reproduction of a hand-and-a-half sword sword, used for reenactment combat.
The sword is 105cm long, although the scanning is missing the end portion.
The scanning was done freehand on the Marker mat and turned out easy and trouble-free in terms of tracking.
Two scans were performed and then merged. For the merging of the two parts, I had to use RevoStudio v 3.0.7.5 in manual alignment mode, as with RevoStudio5, even using numerous markers, I couldn’t achieve proper fusion. It would be convenient if the old manual alignment function were implemented in the new RevoStudio5.
The file was manually cleaned, and the point clouds were fused in Advanced mode at 0.6mm, and the mesh was created at level 5.
The result is excellent, considering the size of the piece and the fact that it was dark and had various reflective parts.
What do you think?

3 Likes

Nice one Daniele … love it !

1 Like

Battery-powered impact wrench.
Scanned using Standard Precision mode on a rotating plate at a rotation speed of 140s, in a single session, repositioning the object 5 times using the pause function.
The point cloud was fused in Advanced mode at 0.2mm, and the mesh was created at level 6.
The model is excellent, with very high details on both the rubber handling and the raised details. The details of the rubber with the rough texture to enhance the grip on the handle are captured perfectly, as well as the newly engraved parts in the plastic or even the shape of the screw heads inside the holes.
Keep in mind that the tool in question has a few years on it and, as you can see, is worn from use.
Taking advantage of the scan, I took the opportunity to import the mesh into Fusion360 and rapidly create supports to hang the impact wrench on the equipped wall.
Of course, the supports fit the impact wrench perfectly!

Decorated ceramic plate.
Quick scan of a decorated ceramic plate with raised details.
The scan was performed in Standard Detail mode on a rotating plate in a single session, with a rotation speed of 200s

1 Like

Great scans. Someone else who’s a fan of the X20V system too :slight_smile:

I’ve pretty much modified everything to use the X20V batteries…
Would you like to see one of the first experiments with a Revopoint scanner (back when I was working with the POP1) and Parkside? It’s a modification of the household electric broom.
The box is so large because there’s an under-voltage cut-off circuit inside to prevent the batteries from going below the minimum threshold.

2 Likes

Decorative ceramic owls.
I scanned a terracotta decoration depicting two owls with dimensions of 250x230x65.
The scan was done in Standard Precision mode on a turntable with a speed of 200s.
Two separate sessions were conducted, one frontal with 3 scanner repositionings using the Pause mode, and one rear with a single pass.
The two scans were merged using the new version of RevoStudio5, which had no issues in the process. Point clouds were fused in Advanced mode at 0.4mm, and the mesh was created at level 6.
One note I’d like to make is, why isn’t there a Select All command in the Hole Closure function? It can be really challenging at times to individually select all the tiny holes (if hole closure wasn’t used during mesh creation).
Sometimes there’s a need to close most but not all the holes, and it becomes impossible in RV5, making it necessary to do so, for example, in MeshMixer.
It would be convenient to be able to Select All and then deselect what you don’t want to close.
It’s not the case here, obviously, but I sometimes face this issue.

1 Like

Fairy on Flower.
Scanning of a resin fairy with metal wings, 150x190x100 in size.
I conducted the scanning in two separate stages.
In the first stage, I scanned the fairy’s body without the wings. The scan was done on a turntable with a rotation speed of 200s in a single session, repositioning the scanner 4 times. The fusion was done in Advanced mode at 0.3mm and mesh level 6.
In the second stage, I scanned the upper part of the fairy with the wings attached. Subsequently, the two scans were merged in RV5.

1 Like

Decorated Bowl.
Scanning of a decorated bowl, dimensions 160x160x60.
The scan was performed in Marker mode using the MagicMat.
Point cloud fused in Advanced mode at 0.35mm and mesh level 6.
The RGB capture level was manually set to about 70, as in automatic mode the colors appear slightly overexposed and less true to the originals.

Decorated Vase.
Decorated vase 160x80x80. Scanning done in Marker mode with the scanner manually moved on a rotating support. Point cloud fused in Advanced mode at 0.3mm and Mesh level 6.

1 Like

Box-Shaped Decoration with Bear.
Scanning of a small Christmas decoration in the shape of a box with toys inside, dimensions 50x50x55.
The scanning was performed on a turntable, in standard precision mode with a rotation speed of 200s and 4 scanner repositions.
The point cloud was fused in Advanced mode at 0.2mm and mesh at level 6.
The details, despite the small size of the subject, are truly impressive.
No tracking issues during scanning, despite the various Pause and Resume phases and subject repositions.

1 Like

Decorated Vase.
Scanning of a decorated ceramic vase, dimensions 130x65x65.
The vase was scanned in Standard Precision and Feature Tracking mode on a turntable, with a rotation speed of 200s and 4 scanner repositions.
The point cloud was fused in Advanced mode at 0.4mm and the mesh was created at level 5.
The RGB Camera was manually set to level 45.
Once again, the details, as evident from the MeshMixer visualization, are very high, with the thickness created by brushstrokes of color (clearly detectable by touch) clearly visible on the model.

Drill Driver Battery.
Scanning of a drill driver battery with dimensions 40x55x80.
The battery, being entirely black, was scanned in Dark Object mode on a turntable with a rotation speed of 200s and two repositionings of the scanner.
The mesh was fused using Advanced mode at 0.3mm, and the mesh level was set to 6.
No type of product was applied to the object to facilitate scanning, but despite this, the scanner managed to capture every detail, including the engravings on the plastic and the thickness of the applied labels.
No issues even with reflective metal contacts.
KickStarter link:
https://revo.ink/3rMEC85

1 Like

Right Daniele ? I was surprised yesterday it scanned Aluminium without issue … that’s new …