Dfodaro - INSPIRE 3D Scanner Showcase

Learn more about INSPIRE:

Good afternoon,
I start with some pictures of the now-classic packaging of the new INSPIRE scanner and its contents: in addition to the INSPIRE scanner (very compact) and the other accessories (tripod, cables, etc.) there is this new mat with the markers, looks interesting to use.

This very new mat intrigues me and I am thinking of using it right away to scan an object with a symmetrical shape: it is an antique “blue and white” porcelain gravy boat.

I placed the mat with the markers on the table and put the object in the center.

The surface of the vase is shiny but I scan without any kind of preparation

I installed the latest version of the software on my MacBook.

I connect the scanner and start scanning with markers and without color, everything works smoothly.

These months for work I am doing a project that requires the realization of mount-making for museum display and also permanent storage for delicate and fragile objects

I will use the model to make counter forms for permanent safe storage, for testing

I scan the object from three viewpoints to be merged later

The 3D model of the object was imported into MeshMixer where I made the model of the counter form

The model imported into MeshMixer has been simplified

Then I created the cavity to house the object

Considering the result, I made another test on an object with rich plastic decoration

I placed the vase on the turntable and used the scanner on its tripod

This time I scanned in colour

I did a single scan and followed the various editing steps and then meshing and texturing

Again, I loaded the 3D model into MeshMixer to make the counter forms

(these last snapshots are from Meshlab)

The first impressions of use are positive, tracking is very smooth.

I just have to report that in the latest version of the RevoScan software (Mac version, I haven’t tried the Win one yet) the “One-click Edit” command, which worked very well in the previous version, here crashes (even using with the previous projects made with other scanners).

3 Likes

Good morning everyone,
here I am back from a two-week trip to Spain. Now that I am back I can post some new scan tests of the new on the INSPIRE 3D scanner.
I decided to do a field scan test by connecting via WIFI the INSPIRE to my iPhone (14 plus) and powering it with the powerbank handle. An important feature of this scanner is its portability because of its small size and low weight due to its extremely compact form factor. For these reasons, it is possible to carry an extremely lightweight and compact piece of equipment that once in the field goes unnoticed.
To carry out these tests I went to an important church in Rome in which there are rich decorations from the 17th - 18th century (Baroque period).
Another thing I was interested in testing is the quality and detail of the mesh (without the colour). In fact, for conservation reasons, it is not possible to use additional lighting in churches where there is significant art and decorations.
It took me just over half an hour to perform these tests (more than 10 scans). I did not do any processing on the phone but postponed all editing steps once I returned to the studio (on my MacBook Pro).

First test: male head (grotesque type) in marble.

As you can see, the decoration is richly detailed with deep undercuts.

The scanning was done by passing over the surfaces in as steady a motion as possible and trying to maintain, as much as possible, an even distance. Of course, it was necessary to change angles often in order to “reach” all the undercut surfaces.

Next, after transferring the project to the Mac I proceeded to process the raw scan on RevoScan 5 (version 5.2.3).

Point Cloud

Fusion at 0.2 and meshed at 6

Closing the holes

1 Like

Test number 2: Decorative element with marble lion

Again, as you can see, the decoration is rich in detail and with deep undercuts. and uniformly shaped areas.
As before, scanning was done by passing over the surfaces in as steady a motion as possible and trying to maintain, as far as possible, an even distance. Of course, it was necessary to change angles often in order to “reach” all the undercut surfaces.

Next, after transferring the project to the Mac I proceeded to process the raw scan on RevoScan 5 (version 5.2.3).

Point Cloud

Fusion at 0.3

Isolation detection

Overlap detection

Meshing at 6

Meshed

Holes detection

Fill holes

Final mesh

1 Like

Test number 3: Big stucco decorative panel with vegetal motive and candelabra (grotesque type) framed

In the same church, I scanned this decorative stucco panel.
The used procedure is some of the previous tests.

RevoScan iphone app

Fusion at 0.5 on Mac

Overlap detection

Meshing at 7

Detection holes

Fill holes

Final mesh

1 Like

Test number 4: Marble decorative element with Cherubin head and vegetal motives

RevoScan iphone app

Fusion at 0.4 on Mac

Processing mesh at 7

Mesahed

Holes detection

Fill holes

Final result

2 Likes

Test number 5: Stucco framed decoration

RevoScan iphone app

RevoScan 5 for Mac - raw

Fusion at 0.4 mm

Overlap detection

Processing mesh - Parameter 7

Hole detection

Final result

1 Like

Test number 6&7: Stucco frame decoration with putto and vegetal motive

RevoScan iphone app

RevoScan 5 for Mac - raw

Fusion at 0.4 mm

Meshing at 7

Mesh

Hole detection

Fill holes

Final result

…and the other side of decoration

The scans mounted together

4 Likes

Love the Cherubs motives … nice scans Davide

1 Like

Hi Catharina,
Thanks for your appreciation

Good morning everyone,
Another test for scanning an ancient terracotta sculpture
Here I used the turntable and the INSPIRE fixed on the tripod handle, by varying during scanning the height of the tripod (single scan).

MacBook Pro - RevoScan 5 (version 5.2.3)

The sculpture (40 cm height ca)

Raw

Raw - point cloud & colour

Point Cloud fused - 0.3

Meshed - at 6

Meshed & textured

Meshlab - radiance scaling

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Another test for scanning an ancient plaster sculpture model (signed “J P Gras” and dated “1911”)
Here I used INSPIRE fixed on the tripod handle, and scanning was done by passing over the surfaces in as steady a motion as possible and trying to maintain, as much as possible, an even distance. Of course, it was necessary to change angles often in order to “reach” all the undercut surfaces. (single scan).

MacBook Pro - RevoScan 5 (version 5.2.3)

The sculpture (40 cm length ca)

I used One-click edit

Point Cloud fused - 0.57

Meshed - at 6

Meshlab - radiance scaling

The signature and the date

2 Likes

Good afternoon,
Today I wanted to do an extreme test with INSPIRE, the scanning of a very large object (1,5 m x 1 m ca).

The object is an ancient epigraph (dated 1586) present in the portico of the church of SS Apostoli in Rome.
I made the scan with the scanner connected to my iPhone (14 plus) and the result (which needs to be perfected) seems to me to definitely interesting.

The project was then processed on my MacBook Pro.

One-Click edit (in the upper right corner you can see the parameters)

Point Cloud Fused

Meshed

As you can see there was only a misalignment in the upper part of the decoration (area in the red circle).

Mounting the scan in comparison with the photo of the original (in the scan I superimposed the photo, in BN, of the inscription - flat and therefore practically impossible to scan)

On the same morning, I did a scan with POP3 connected to the iPhone, changing strategy, and got perfect results (no misalignment). I will try to apply them with the next scans made with INSPIRE and I will show you the results.

2 Likes

Below is a figure of the test realized with POP3 and iPhone with a normal approach and with the new one (misalignment-free), about which I wrote above.
I will soon conduct tests with INSPIRE.

SCAN TESTs with POP3- the “Crying putto”

Consider that I had to scan from the floor of the church, and I had to extend my arms above my head to the maximum, in order to scan the putto’s head.

2 Likes

Good morning everyone,
Here is the test with INSPIRE with an approach of “no misalignment”
The subject for this test is a plaster sculpture model “Female head mensula” (20 cm x 20 cm X 20 cm)

The original

The scan was made with the INSPIRE connected to the iPhone (14 plus)

The approach I used has been described in previous posts and consists of starting the scan then stopping, then post-processing, then reopening and continuing the scan, then stopping, then post-processing, then reopening and so on… until all sides (including the base and back) are scanned.

RevoScan App iPhone (on the left the setting used)

Meshlab - Radiance scaling shader

As you can see the quality obtained is already very good (a mesh very clean and neat), however, I will proceed with an edit on the Mac.
Then after exporting the project to my MacBook Pro, I proceeded to re-edit the scan on RevoScan 5 for Mac.

Fusing at 0.1

Then after editing the Point Cloud (removing isolated and overlapped points), meshing at 5.8.

Below is the result (amazing):

Below is a comparison (in Meshlab) of the two versions (left edited on iPhone, right on MacBook Pro)
As can be seen, the version edited on the iPhone is softer and less sharp, the version edited on the Mac, though slightly noisy, is more sharp and with more detail.

Below reversed (left on MacBook Pro, right edited on iPhone)

4 Likes

Good morning everyone,
Here is a scan with INSPIRE scanned with my iPhone (with the identical procedure used before)
The subject for this test is an ancient plaster medal model “Saint Peter & Saint Paul” (20 cm diameter ca)

The original

After importing it on my MacBook Pro I edited (fusing and meshing) the project with RevoScan 5 (upper right the setting used)

The final result (in Meshlab)

3 Likes

Good morning again,
Here is a test scan with INSPIRE with a dark and shining sculpture
The scan was make with my iPhone (with the identical procedure used before)
The subject for this test is an ancient bronze: “Nimph (35 cm width ca)

The original

After importing it on my MacBook Pro I edited (fusing and meshing) the project with RevoScan 5 (upper right the setting used)

The mesh

The final result (in Meshlab)

4 Likes

…Sometimes they come back…
I (re)tried scanning a small sculpture (a cast after) Archaic Greek, a head of Hercules.

I scanned it with Pop , Pop 2 , Einscan SE:

I made this scan using INSPIRE freehand in continuous mode.
All editing was done directly in RevoScan.
Visualization of the result in MeshLab.
The result is truly remarkable for the “cheapest” of the Revopoint scanners. Smooth scanning with excellent frame rate, efficient tracking, clean and detailed scan result.

4 Likes