How ti use GPU in the process

My RTX 3060 doesn’t seem to get touched unfortunately, hope this will change soon…

Unless you have a graphic card that have 32GB of VRAM ? Then maybe , but most users don’t .

The software is CPU based and the process heavily depends on the amount of RAM in the system , it is not recommended to use GPU for processing 3D scans As it would limit the access as most devices would be not able to run the software . The huge amount of VRAM will eliminate another portion of users, and having hybrid will slow down the GPU to the same speed as CPU so definitely not really good idea .

I also use Agisoft Metashape which is professional photogrammetry software. I’m sure you are familiar of that one. Metashape will use the (selected) GPU if it sees enough RAM for the model for most processes. This is calculated prior to the render decision (avail vs required).
Render speed is pretty much GPU card capability, most influential will be the amount of CUDA cores in case of nVidia cards being used.
In my case I noticed a massive speed improvement from before where I was rendering on CPU only (this includes large amounts of fast NVME RAM), compared to now with GTX3060/12GB.

Of course @AVsupport , but we dealing here with completely different technology than photogrammetry.
Don’t get me wrong I would love to use my 12K cuda cores to speed up the job .
But the software already reached it’s limitation when you use multiple big scans in one projects , reason ? Out of RAM .
The reason why so many users can use the software is because it don’t require GPU .
There is other company that go down this path , what limited greatly the amount of users as it is hard to find an outlet in the woods while wearing PC on your back, if you know what I mean .

I think the software would have to be very sophisticated , plus reducing greatly the usage of RAM as it would be impossible to use VRAM to process that big files , it would also eliminate all tablets, PC tablets and laptops .
I don’t think they would want to go this path as the goal of the devices is to be portable and not relay on specific PC requirements.

Have you had a look at Metashape?
I think point cloud, fusion, hole filling, filtering, mesh construction and texturing are all very similar tasks that both those programs perform, hence me making this suggestion.
But anyhow, your software, so you’d know the limitations!

Limitation accures when you relay on GPU with your software and can’t run it on devices that don’t have GPU . That make the scanner not more portable .

For PC ok , but how many users have 32 VRAM available for processing scans ?
Do you ? I don’t think so .

Anyway Revo Scan 5 is CPU based software and nothing wrong with that .
Zbrush never switched to GPU either and still most useful software in the modeling industry .

Appreciate your insights.
Just wanted to mention that Metashape does switch to CPU processing if no GPU or GPU with not enough RAM is available.
This works well in my case.
I try to scan with phone and immediatly offload to powerful PC for further processing, or SurfacePro tablet + SSD when mobility is required, thus not blocking the iphone through prolonged processing during the acquisition process

1 Like

I think it is a trend right now. At least other 3d scanner manufacturer stopped supporting GPUs on its SW for the very same reason (in this case, Occipital and Skanect)

1 Like

I am not against it , I have 12K cuda cores that could be used even for generate textures for the final step , but I don’t speak about my personal needs .
Just thinking about the other users that do not have powerful GPU and that is the majority of them , I even proposed a Revo Scan 5 Pro for those that used it professionally with powerful workstations as I feel the software is too much downgraded to serve better the lower capacity devices that the software runs on .

A hybrid software where you can switch between GPU and CPU will be the way to go , I would also love to have settings for my CPU cores for processing .

Hopefully in the future things change

Reminds me of last Einstar Scanner where reviewers needed to borrow powerful PC from the company to make proper review of it … :grin:
Creating a scanner that needs at least 6GB of VRAM to work proper eliminates a lot of regular users , and it will not run on tablet, phone or simple laptop .You are wired to your PC …

Taking of Shining 3D software, can we please have a measurement option in the Revo software?
Come on Mrs Pop, kick some haas.
This would be a great addition.

1 Like

Hi @penneyduck I know it is already added to the long list of wishes and suggestions.