How are you installed when you scan? Your equipment?

Hello,

@PUTV @shadows44 @Revopoint-Cassie @JeffLindstrom @ivan @X3msnake @dfodaro @Zoltan3D and everybody :smile:

In order to obtain the best results (and equip myself accordingly :grin:), I would like to know how you are installed when you scan? What is your installation, your equipment, the layout of your scanning studio? Do you have additional lights? If so, what kind ? etc.

Thanks,

My usual setup is pretty much what can be seen in my latst showcase, for example at 2:25:

• I always use a turntable when possible, and I mostly stick to the “feature” mode
  • turntable located on my desk, no other objects in the field of view of the scanner
  • mini tripod adjusted so that each pass is done in the “excellent” zone of the graph.
  • I sometimes use additional LEDs (if so, usually a single Lume Cube)
1 Like

Hello,

Personally it really depends on the object to scan.

But most of the time I have 2 options :
Turntable with black cloth under to avoid to scan the table.
Or if the object are more complex, I use black glove + black velvet arm cover to take the object in hand directly to be able to turn it in any direction.

About the light: never add any lights! It’s worse than a dark room because the scanner make it own light.
It’s only useful if you scan in color, in this case you can use not too powerful led lights. But personally never scan in color, it’s useless because I scan for 3d print.

As you can see, with this scanner you don’t really need special setup.
Just avoid pollution around the turntable, like not black objects and other

1 Like

I don’t have a specific place to scan. I mainly just set up on one of the workbenches in the workshop.
I tend to turn the lights off in the room I’m working, just in case they are giving off any IR that might interfere with the scan. I also put a piece of black cloth under and behind the turntable so that I don’t get any bogus data from background objects.
Other than that, it’s just scan and go.

1 Like

Hi Mikaël,

I am a professional Art Conservator and I work mainly on sculpture, for this reason the objects are often immovable and I am the one who has to adapt using the scanner mounted on the handle and moving around the sculpture.

I often work outdoor and in this case an essential factor (for natural light) is the choice of the time of day to scan (preferably early in the morning or on cloudy days)

I When it comes to scanning smaller objects, if possible I use the turntable (on a table), the scanner fixedly mounted on the tripod and I work in dim light.

3 Likes

I use a laptop for most scanning because the objects I want to scan are not easily moved to my main computer. I then transfer them as needed.

I only rarely scan in color, so extra lights are not a consideration. Sorry I can’t help you there.

Hi @Myrdhin

Things changed dramatically since we can set the proper range of scanning .
Before you really needed a good setup but now any space is good , thanks to range scanning settings .

My number one tip is keeping your scanner at 45 degrees at all times , it will allow to track well the 3 dimension of your objects vs just front or top that leads to losing tracking in most cases .

Regarding lighting , if you use POP3 things got si much easier since build in LEDs provide nice and proper lighting while scanning , I would use very low ambient lighting while using LED from POP3 , INSPIRE on the other hand needs some lighting support and fir all other scanners the lighting need to be set on the left side one above the RGB camera and one below for shadowless scanning .

I use the Revopoint LED they have in their store , but Amazon have it also .

It is much easier to use turntable with the scanning settings no matter you are scanning a small objects or full body , it provide the proper speed and more precision while scanning for organic models .

Imagine your scanner is a spray can and you try to paint your object , that is the way of scanning , starting from top moving slowly each section down after your object reach 360 degrees rotation leaving around 20% overlapping.

This is simple setting for scanning smaller objects with additional LED attached to the scanner ( printed out LED holder )

1 Like