Fusion 360 help

I have been able to get a somewhat useable scan and I have been doing some sketching this morning. I plan to try and cut what I have drawn today and mock a few things up. Here is what I have done so far.

I will post more pictures of the mock up to show accuracy.

So now that I have the scale set correctly everything cut perfectly. Here is the mock up. The actual plates will be .25" thick steel and the support brace will be tube steel.

3 Likes

Nice. Looks like weā€™re both working on the same kind of project.

Iā€™m curious how you made out with your workflow since this topic.

I also have a CNC plasma and want to be able to do the exact same thing as youā€™re discussing in this topic.

Iā€™m eager to hear how youā€™ve progressed on your workflow since September.

Also @Rusty I am very interested how you made out too.

POP2 is lightyears beyond POP in terms of accuracy and how it handles long, straight-ish objects. Having the accelerometers makes things come out a lot better.

Workflow is essentially unmodified, though for small enough objects Iā€™ve found myself using the .OBJ directly in Inventor. Thatā€™s only going to work well with relatively simple and small projects, though- thereā€™s a lot of polys there, and that clogs things up.

Iā€™ve been working on the next generation of stamping dies for a body panel that I need made, but Iā€™ve been having some issues with the mill. I think thereā€™s a loose connection somewhere along the line in my Z-axis limit switch, which is causing me to fault out every time I try and take a deep bite of the steel. Itā€™s really annoying and I havenā€™t had time to sort it out yet.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Iā€™m enjoying it so far. all the different softwares a little overwhelming to learn at once but Iā€™m slowly powering through it.

Iā€™m hoping to develop some decent workflow for Fusion 360. Itā€™s what I use already to do all my programming for my CNC plasma. Supposably Autodesk took some cues from inventor when they started making Fusion 360.

Langmuir systems came out with a small hobbyist CNC mill. Itā€™s pretty cool I would like to maybe get one one day but thereā€™s a few other tools I need to get first.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/mr1

Langmuir MR 1 CNC mill spec sheet

Likely not big enough for most body panels dies.

Iā€™m pretty sure fusion imports in meters, you can also scale under the modify menu if you have a known value

Fusion should be unit agnostic. If thereā€™s no unit specified in the file youā€™re importing, Iā€™m pretty sure it will assume that itā€™s whatever you currently have set for that document. (Thatā€™s what Inventor does, at least.)

The dies Iā€™m making are quite small- I only have a 20 ton press at home. Basically Iā€™ve got a rectangular panel with 5 dimples in it, and the dies are just to make the dimple.

The AutoCAD DWG files I import default to Metric, but millimeters, not meters.

I honestly donā€™t know about Fusion360, but they are from the same company.