Dfodaro - POP 3 Showcase

You can pre-order it NOW:
TO ORDER FROM EUROPE AND THE REST OF THE WORLD PLEASE GO HERE: POP 3: The Handheld 3D Scanner with Color Scans - Revopoint
TO ORDER POP3 FROM USA PLEASE CLICK HERE: https://bit.ly/Davide2-

Good afternoon everyone,
and now a comparison: the same vase scanned with the new POP3 and the scan made with POP2

POP3 - Georgian era vase with rich decoration, colour scanning

POP2 - Georgian era vase with rich decoration, colour scanning

a picture is worth more than a thousand words

2 Likes

Good afternoon again,
I post another test with POP3 (with RevoScan 5.0.6 for Mac and Macbook pro with i7 and RevoScan 5.04 for IOS with iPhone 14 plus)
I scanned (re-scanned) an antique sculpture, about 70 cm high.
I made it in with RevoScan 5.04 for IOS with iPhone 14 plus. I proceeded as follows: scanned a portion of the surface, stopped and processed, then reopened and restarted the scan, added another portion, closed again, processed, reopened, and so on. It never lost tracking and the added portions aligned perfectly with the pre-existing portion: WOW!!!
Then I downloaded the project to the Macbook and performed all the fusing, editing, cleaning and etc. operations there. One note for meshing: in the latest version of RevoScan set to maximum (6) the result was a bit too smooth compared to the previous version. So, I exported the point cloud and then meshed with Meshlab and the result is as shown.
Below are pictures and the final result (amazing!):

4 Likes

Good afternoon everyone,
I post the first test with POP3 (with RevoScan 5.0.5 for Mac and Macbook pro with i7)
I scanned a metal alloy sculpture (early 20th century) of dark grey colour, about 30 cm high.
I made a series of partial scans (edited and cleaned), which I merged in RevoScan and subsequently created the mesh.
Below is a photo of the sculpture and some pictures of the process and the final result:

3 Likes

Good afternoon again,
I post another test with POP3 (with RevoScan 5.0.5 for Mac and Macbook pro with i7)
I scanned an antique British jar, sculpted and painted (Wedgwood style), about 25 cm high.
I made it in only one scan: the jug was placed on the turntable and scanning was done by gradually raising the POP3 on the tripod.
All processes (editing, cleaning, meshing, texture optimization) were made into RevoScan 5.05
Below are pictures of the process and the final result, with and without texture:

3 Likes

Good morning everyone,
I post another test with POP3 (with RevoScan 5.0.8 for Mac and Macbook pro with i7)
I scanned an Antique Chinese Porcelain Dish e with rich textured colour decoration, about 12 cm in diameter.
I made only one scan using turntable (and then edited and cleaned), which I fused, edited and cleaned with RevoScan and subsequently created the mesh and textured.
Below is a photo of the dish and some pictures of the process and the final result:

2 Likes

Good morning everyone,
I post another test with POP3 (with RevoScan 5.0.8 for Mac and Macbook pro with i7)
I scanned a Bacchus Bronze sculpture with rich textured colour, about 15 cm high.
I made only one scan using turntable (and then edited and cleaned), which I fused, edited and cleaned with RevoScan and subsequently created the mesh and textured.
Below is a photo of the sculpture and some pictures of the process and the final result:

3 Likes

Good morning everyone,
I scanned a greek terracotta sculpture with rich textured colour, about 20 cm high.

3 Likes

Great Showcase as usual Davide, keep up the great work !

Catharina

1 Like

Thanks Catharina!

1 Like

Hey dfodaro!

Would you be able to explain in more details how you get such amazing result with Meshlab and give a step by step?

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your appreciation
In this case I imported the point cloud from RevoScan in Meshlab and there only created the mesh (no other editing)

Here a link to my old post were is explained my workflow in Meshlab (I hope useful for you)

1 Like

Museal Mount-Making for Sculpture
Good morning everyone,
today I present an application of work in the field of cultural heritage:
Mount-making for museum display.
This is an ancient Indian sculpture that does not have a base for displaying (and holding) it.
The 3D scan was made with POP3 (the achievable quality is evident from the images).
With the 3D model, I made the support interface between the irregular surface of the original and the mount. All the mount-making elements were created with Meshmixer. The next step will be to make a physical prototype (to be 3D printed) that can be used to do tests on the original sculpture.
Below are images illustrating the project:

3 Likes

Great scan Davide, what was the dimensions of the sculpture?

2 Likes

Hi Catharina,
The sculpture is 25 cm high

1 Like

Hello everyone!
I’ll show you an update

I show you the 3D printed prototypes of the museum mounts of this series of sculptures.

The large (and heavy) head was scanned with the POP3, the small one with the Revopoint MINI.

These functional prototypes were used to verify that they “work”.

With this solution the sculptures can be displayed by positioning them vertically in the showcase by simply placing them on the mounts (no constraints or permanent adhesives are necessary).

From these prototypes, the definitive mounts will be created, in other materials, for display in the museum’s showcases.

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: How to scan inside a Gluggle jug for printing