Can Range or Mini work directly in Lightwave 3D?

Does anyone know if the scanners can be used directly in Lightwave 3D? They had some software that worked with Kinect 1.0 and I was curious to see if it could be used there. I’m very new to scanning and looking at workflow options while I continue to learn more about it…

I don’t believe so and wouldn’t make much of sense as scanning software has to be highly adapted to the hardware(3d scanner) and you have to do the point cloud editing (often including aligning and merging more scan) before getting a good mesh to work with within Lightwave. so better stick to revoscan (upcoming version 5 makes the workflow very easy) and than export the mesh to Lightwave.

1 Like

thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing the new software!

1 Like

Please check this preview, too!

POP2 and MINI are not Kinect type 3D scanners , they are 3D structured light scanners so no they will not work on any other software without the original core codes and algorithms.

The new upcoming RS5 , will allow you to edit and scan things at once in only one software and export it to Lightwave after for future mesh editing . Much easier than before …

Back in the day when the company I worked for, Datacopy, (later Xerox Imaging Systems) introduced the first digital cameras and desktop scanners. The integration with all the software programs then available was a major problem but there was a solution.
A common interface description was developed in conjunction with the software companies. When that was done, the integration task with software packages was much easier for both the hardware and the software companies.
We also proposed the TIFF file format which was quickly adopted by the graphics industry. Very few companies stuck with proprietary image file formats without also supporting The Tag Image File Format (TIFF).

1 Like

I use TIFF format in my work since 1998 for saving my color data while processing textures in projection mode and nothing worked better .

That is very cool story @mrehmus

You see , we dealing here with an hardware that require specific hardcore codes to work proper with the original Revo processor … it is not just an RGB camera and some depth cam sensor cameras , we dealing here also with DLP style projector that need to project pattern that need to be processed into cell frames via the camera sensors using the software . Having other programs the ability to read the firmware data is impossible without rewriting the other programs what is totally out of Revopoint control .

But who knows what the future brings…

Thank you @PUTV I tried learning a bit of Lightwave 3D years ago but didn’t get far enough into actually using it much. It seems like it might be just as easy to animate things these days in Unreal once the model is scanned so I’m waiting like everyone else to start learning RS5. Newtek used to be ahead of the curve in the early days but things sure have changed.

@mrehmus I remember TIFF and thank you for your work!!!

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by directly but I use my scans in LightWave. The down side is of course that Modeler doesn’t play well with huge poly counts. I usually just use it for basic things like scaling and rotating scans.I think any of the output formats will work fine.

Lightwave’s mocap extension won’t work with this 3d scanner. Two different technologies. You can import stuff into Lightwave after scanning just fine but as Phil says, some of the poly counts may be a little much for modeler. However, some of the polygon optimization tools work well on the geometry, especially if you have some of the older stuff like the Decimate plugin.