Best options for scanning body parts?

Hi, received my Revopoint POP2 and everything is going well, calibrates well and no problems getting excellent results with the enclosed model of David.

The question I have is:

I volunteer for a retired group that makes special aids for people with disabilities. As such, I need to be able to scan various body parts in order to make special supports for some of these people (there is a wide range of disabilities we see….). Scans can range from hands, fingers, forearms and feet - plus other parts as needed. These will be used in the process of making the final 3D support(s) or aids on my 3D printers.

Resolution is not very important and +/-1mm is fine.

So……

• Any recommendations on which of the pre-sets might suit this job best? I’m thinking ’body’ and scanning at a further distance might be the way to go???

• Should I use markers on the skin to aid the scanning process?

• Would inside lighting help? If so, what color temperature should one use? Cool White or Warm White obviously being the two common temperatures.

• Is there a background color I could use to enhance the process?

Any Ideas or tips from you more experienced people would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @CometBoy I would recommend to use Body mode for scanning and keeping the proper distance .
There are no special requirements that you need to follow .
Normal level of ambient light , and proper pose would be all you need .
However walking around your model and scanning will take some practice to do it right , and you may not always succeed in the first round. So keeping the proper distance all the time is most important .

You may lose easy tracking when scanning arms or back since there are not much tracking features .
But the Body mode is much easier to use than any other in this case .

In the most difficult cases you can use marker mode , but you will needs a lot of them and I don’t think that would be a good idea in this case as some people may be sensitive to the sticker glue as I am casing rush on the skin after .

You don’t need any background as long it is not in the same range as the scanned object .You can use any black plastic , silicon or PVC if you have no choice like for example you scanning top foot you can place it on a black plastic . Only synthetic black materials absorb infrared light, so black cotton or velvet will not working . Simple black garbage bag would do. I also use black silicone mat.

Before you jump into anything serious with your clients please practice , as you need to get used to control the device based on what you see on your screen focusing on the Depth camera preview , distance, and scanned object . Try to not overlap too much multiple times the same area as the processing will take more time and you may not get a perfect model afterwards.

Focus also on the gain setting avoid blue or too much of red area . Different skin color needs different settings .

And most important you need to keep the model in the same position from start to finish , one movement of a finger will ruined your scanning session .

It will be all easier once you get familiar with the process and find your own personal workflow that works best for you .
As with all tools, for some it come naturally for others it doesn’t but with little practice trial and error I am sure you will find your way .

2 Likes

Thank you for the very excellent comments!!! Very detailed…….

And very much appreciated!

I’m prepared to invest time into developing the skills to do these types of scans and fully realize the limitations involved. But the time consuming physical trial and error fitting process I currently use simple takes to much time and the end result is often not 100%.

Some follow up questions:

• In this task and using ‘Body’ mode does the resolution mode come into play? I’m assuming the basic mode is all that’s needed - especially as I not after high accuracy.
  • Is there higher end post processing software that might be useful in my case? Revo Studio does the job but thought there might be a better editing tool that fits well with Revopoint?? Maybe MeshMaker? Not sure how big the learning curve is for using MeshMaker (maybe Meshmixer?) effectively?

And I have a question about marker dots…. But I’ll start a separate question on that. My help others in understanding there usage.

Thanks Again

Yes. The further away, the less accurate the results will be. This is true in all scanning modes. In Feature mode, some people will scan “Too close” to get more details (which will work, so long as there are enough unique features to maintain tracking).

Only you can say if the lower resolution is too low.

2 Likes