What's the best workflow for scanning a complete object (top and bottom)?

I’ve got the basic turntable and at a tilt, I’m getting good scans of the top of objects, but where they curve at the bottom, I lose anything captured. The object is almost symmetrical top vs bottom, but there’s subtle differences.

I first tried pausing the scan, repositioning the object and restarting, but it ended up aligning on the missing bottom.

Performing 2 scans, one for the top and one for the bottom works, and the merge seems fine until I realized the texture options are gone, and the overlapping area of the mesh when exported are a darker colour and look almost fuzzy.

I’m pretty sure I’m missing something obvious but I can’t quite work it out.

Hi @NickPoole , our software does not support exporting texture model files after merging for the time being.

Unfortuantely, unless you can get the scanner to align on features when re-positioning there is no way to do it. This is an issue with very symmetrical or featureless objects.
Something you can do though, stick some markers on the object but DO NOT scan in marker mode. The markers, even though not being tracked, will provide enough difference in the surface for it to maybe track correctly when re-positioning.
You can try full marker mode too but you will need for the only visible markers to be the ones on the object. If it can see the ones on the turntable, marker mode won’t work with repositioning.

Another option (and this is my preferred method) is to build up a pencil or something vertically on your turntable and then stick the object to the top of it with BluTac. This will enable you to move the scanner gradually down the object and capture the underside in one go rather than re-positioning.