Using the Range to scan a fountain

The patio fountain proved a good experiment with the Range and its turntable. It has a fair amount of UV damage (haven’t found any rock-colored paint, as was stocked by Target a few years ago), so we’re ignoring Color and Texture for this demonstration.

The best way to scan proved to be starting at the bottom, turning on the turntable and raising the Range after every revolution. Once the initial scan was finished, there were some gaps that I was able to fill by scanning from above. Tracking Acquisition was nearly instantaneous.

While I have read advice to the contrary, I prefer to get rid of overlapping pixels, so I ran it at 1mm.

Note the number of points in the red rectangle near the bottom-left of the screen before and after running Overlap Detection at 1mm, followed by 2mm.

I ran Isolation more as an experiment; I was slightly surprised that it found so much. I wonder if this is a result of the Overlap Detection routines.

Next came Mesh Construction; I used the recommended settings (which will vary, depending on the perceived quality of the scan data), including Hole Filling (Auto).

Now that I had a complete 3D object, I did some comparisons. First is a detail shot, followed by the same view of the CAD model.

Finishing up, I got a close duplicate of the full-length views of the fountain and the model.

All in all, it took longer to edit the pictures and screen grabs to make this post than to make the scan.