[TUTORIAL-INFO ] What is Advanced Mode fusing used with POP3

So many of you asked about the Advanced Mode for fusing your Cell frames .

Advanced mode are a simplified fusing algorithms , it creates very clean point cloud ( I called it a wood fusion ) at is resample a wood pattern , this powerful yet simple algorithms cleaning the scanned objects from overlapped points and lose points , so what you ending with is a smooth, clean fused point cloud that is so good it resample a mesh , the best point cloud base for your mesh .

Many of you like to slide the values to the maximum , but the maximum values will not always provide you with the perfect results .

For example with tye fruit basket , there is nothing in that object that will require me to use pitch point fusion of lower than 0.4mm , don’t worry your volume is still the same , lower pitch point setting only smooth out the surfaces from not necessary noises and junk data that you not always really need .

So next time please evaluate your object , measure the elements and details on your real objects to make sure your settings for fusion are correct for the best results , for example are you getting to print your scanned sculpture at 0.6mm with your printer ? use 0.5mm fusion .

With POP3 the Advanced mode fusion is set to 0.2mm maximum what will deliver great smooth surfaces on objects that do have less details , vases, fruit, mugs, and any other less featured objects .

Use standard if you know what you doing , for manual cleaning and edit , for objects that have lose parts while scanning , simple example a leaves on a branch , using standard the leaves will be not removed from your scan after fusion … in Advanced mode it would since Advanced mode remove all lose points not attached to the main scan .

here is a close up of the Advance Mode fusion at 0.4mm , you can see the ( wood like structure of the points )

and here zoomed out ( Only RGB color per vertex point cloud - no meshed, no textures , no edited, no cleaned , Advanced mode produce simple and clean point clouds , it is simple to use still very much advanced algorithms and one of my favorite since long time .

with point cloud like that you can archive a perfection , no grainy issues , beautiful RGB without reflections than also can be converted to color textures after merging multiple objects together .
The size of the point cloud is only half millions points in place of 5 millions points of junk . Ideal scan for produce 3D assets for rendering , games and web presentation .

And one more tip for today , if you use Advanced mode for fusing your frame cells , please always use the highest meshing option level 6, to keep the volume intact .
MESHED RGB color per vertex, no textures

MESHED , no edit, no smoothing , original scan Advanced mode

Handheld Scanning without Stabilizer

Textured in RS5

Of course for PBR rendering and game assets you want the Albedo version textures and not actual Textures , but after rendering the Textures , your mesh will have ready to use UVs , if you export both , mesh with RGB and Mesh with textures, you can easy copy the RGB color per vertex Albedo to the mesh with UVs using other programs like Zbrush or Meshlab

Albedo Textures for PBR rendering and game assets ( textures without shadows and reflections build into textures ) and regular textures with build in shadows and reflections .

8 Likes

GREAT tutorial! as always! :clap: Thanks, Catharina!
there should be a link to this post from inside Revoscan when hovering over that tab.

Thank you Ivan , there will be in the future instructions regarding all functions in RevoScan so everyone knows what to do :grin:

3 Likes

Hello,

I am a beginner. I have made some scans. Your tutorial is interresting. I want to ask if the advanced fused mode is available to the Pop 2 too? Or is it a hardware implementation inside the Pop 3?

Hi!
This mode isn´t for POP 3 only , you can use it for all revopoint scanners. It is an specific postprocessing algorithm with some advantages depending on scanned object.

Hi @powpe , please download the latest Revo Scan version 5.1.0 , you have all function’s explanations under each of them that are very informative so you know what it do.
All features in RS5.1.0 are for all Revopoint scanners .

Hello! I’m just learning 3D scanning. I made a color scan using Android APP and uploaded it to Revo Scan 5.1. I don’t know how to turn off the RGB (texture) and see the Mesh or Point Cloud with no color.

Hi @Nick_Ukrainian you have an RGB icon in the top right corner of the screen , click it to turn on or off the RGB , it looks like 3 spotlights red-green-blue next to the position cube .

Under Merging this option is not available, hopefully soon it will .