Fusing - for beginners

I am brand new to 3D scanning.
What does “fusing” mean/do?
Regarding “Fuse the point cloud immediately”… When should I select this, and when not?
When I do a first scan and click to stop, and then I see that I missed some spots, what is my next step (what do I click)?
After I click “Complete,” can I still go back and fill in spots? How?
After I’ve completed the mesh, how can I fill in spots?

Thank you!

@ArtLieberman

When you scan you capture frames only that needs to be converted to point cloud to be usable .
Fussing mean = fussing the data into point cloud at specific pitch point .
Lower pitch point gives you higher resolution . Higher pitch point gives you lower resolution .

After you stop the scanning and you get the message about fusing , you can ignore it if you want to scan other sides , however even if you moved forward you can still go back to the beginning .even after meshing .

Change the position of the object and continue scan 360 degree only around 300 frames , then stop change position and continue until you are done .

I recommend you check the tutorial section of the forum here for more guide.

you can also check my YT video if you like to see the process in action .

1 Like

Your own video is VERY helpful. It puts all of the steps together in an understandable way.
Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks @ArtLieberman , I tried to be beginner friendly as much as possible . I have and will have more videos on my YT channel regarding POP2 so check out, you may find something interesting for yourself now or in the future . And I recommend you get yourself Cloud Compare free software , it can easy fix any mistakes you made while capturing point cloud data using Revo Scan or after merge in Revo Studio if there is something wrong with the scan like too much noises or overlapped frames . Very handy software.

1 Like

This video has a ton of information in it and was very helpful to see the process of making a good scan. I’m brand new to scanning so for me the information in the video happens very fast because there is so much to absorb so I will definitely watch it a few times. Thanks for posting! I appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi @jpw the principles are mostly always the same , sometimes it takes me around 2 hours to finish everything from A to Z with very complex models but nobody want to watch 2h video . I think the best for beginner would be separate it in a sections , scan all sides of your model if needed , because sometimes you need just 2 sides , all depends of the complexity of the model , so try on something simple yet with lots of features . Don’t try to scan your simple coffee mug as it will give you a headache , in 3D scanning the simple objects are the most difficult to work with .
Also remember that how clean your point cloud looks how better will be your mesh later , avoid overlapped point clouds , if you see any error in appearance , start over , and most important take your time , but knowing your work experiences I don’t think you will have much issues with it once you learn the basics of the software. The best universal learning curve is by making mistakes :wink:
And trust me , there is less to absorb as it looks like , thanks and happy scanning !
if anything let me know !

1 Like

really useful for me also, thanks!

1 Like