The difference between MINI and POP 2

I wanted something for scanning unavailable/ obsolete stereo, toy, car, etc parts. The POP2 was tempting, but didn’t seem quite accurate enough, so I’ve just taken a chance on the Mini.

But when you say “Lots of RAM” for anything of size… Will 128GB be enough :wink:

Hi @BruceW,

The MINI is available on Kickstarter now. You can back it via this link:

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

MINI is not replacement for POP2, it is more of a companion to POP2 , you don’t want to scan a car with MINI , it is not made for that unless you want ever 10mm be a 2 millions of poly , your 128GB will be gone before you start :laughing: It is called MINI not because of its size , but because it is made for scanning mini objects and mini objects with that pression takes lots of RAM and a lot of processing time.
However if you really want to go for a bigger objects what will required some patience to scan and merge from a lot of parts, you can use slightly higher pitch point resolution like about 0.1mm then you can do it with no issue .

P.S you see you could scan great areas with POP2 and then the fine details areas with MINI , POP2 is accurate and I use it every day for my work where the resolution does not matters as much but the volume accuracy.

1 Like

I was looking for this double axis turntable for quite some time , this is a game changer for scanning small objects, sadly I did not got my hands on it yet , it says you can control it with Bluetooth… this is must have gadget , goodbye alligator clips :laughing:

2 Likes

I meant car parts, not car car! Although a couple of my cars are quite small…

I’ve got various old broken things and often want to model up a small repair/ replacement part. My CAD skills don’t exist, and Blender is maddening to use. Plus often the bits I need have radiuses that are near impossible to measure.

Scanning larger stuff would be purely for fun, it’s the 2 or 3cm “I need another one of these, and they’ve not been made for 40 years” things that are actually important right now.

I just signed up and pledged the new Mini kickstarter. I supported the Pop 2 just a few months ago, I wasn’t expecting another version so soon, but the Mini looks great for miniature work.

How do I get my gifts? Where do I put in my Pop 2 order number? Mini order number? Do I send an email?

Thanks Revo!

If you open your Kickstarter account and I believe it’s either under activity or messages they’ll outline the whole procedure for getting your free gifts.

If you can’t find it let me know and I’ll screenshot mine and post it.

Backed it and got the super earlybird premium.

2 Likes

Then definitely you gonna be good with MINI , it has good tracking and stabilizer so less features are requested for good scans . And the best part , you can just scan and print things out without CAD as I did with the screw adapter . 1:1 copy

3 Likes