Show me your scanning setup that has been successful

I’ve had the mini since early public release, and to be 100% honest, it has sat on my shelf after some initial failed scanning efforts.

I acknowledge that my earlier efforts were trying to scan items that were bigger than the model was really for (I now have a revo range for that), but even when I come back to scanning smaller, more detailed stuff, my scan is still not coming out very well.

I’d like to know what you using for lighting, process (how many revolutions with the turntable, angles, etc).

Feature Mode

Marker Mode

Scanning sprays

2 Likes

MINI

MINI

Range

You can find in my MINI thread some informations showcases and tips

2 Likes

One of the things I do for getting better success in scanning an object is to also have several satellite objects surrounding the part I want to scan that help aid in tracking. simple parts that are easy to track. I had to scan a duck neck for a puppet which in its self does not have a lot of distinct tracking features, so scanning it alone was near impossible (mis-track city). Adding a lot of distinct objects like dice allowed for it to stay on track. Also surface prep is pretty important, in addition to dark, shiny, transparent surfaces, colors that absorb blue light tend to be problematic, and objects that have high contrasting light and dark features will also lead to a bad scan as I notice the mini has a pretty narrow exposure range that it works with. I’ve been using the Aesub scanning spray with excellent results, but any of the other more affordable options should work fine. Lastly, for larger objects, I use another scanner to get a good base scan then do spot detailed scans with the mini. Then I do a point based alignment in Meshlab or which ever to align the Mini scans to the base scan. after I have the coverage I need I use ZBrush to project the detail from the Mini scans to the the base to get a clean final scan. Its an involved process, and not everyone has access to ZBrush, but I imagine a similar process can be done in blender. Trying to scan a larger object may cause drift during the point cloud fusion process unless the item has a lot of detail the track can lock onto. This is why I suggest using something like the Range to get your base first, then do a lot of small overlapping scans. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Im not sure what your scanning but if its shiny then you need to matte it down, use DIY zinc spray or buy the proper stuff.
Here is a video for my patreons on a scan, for the video I left the lights on, but I usually scan in a very dark room ( just enough to see ) and a black background.