Shoe scan workflow

Hey all, I recently scanned a shoe, then took it through the usual workflow to get some pretty renders. Here are my screen grab

s.

8 Likes

8 Likes

This is where the fun starts.

7 Likes

Very nice reconstruction !

So what scanner you used ? Or it is photogrammetry? In your first 2 images ?

2 Likes

That’s interesting and awesome! :boom:

1 Like

I used the pop2, along with a DSLR to take high res texture samples. I did not use photogrammetry.

2 Likes

Very good quality scan for 0.1mm pitch point , did you used the color as bump maps on the scan preview? becouse the surface details are too small for 0.1mm pitch point, that why I am asking.

Well, the raw scan is what it looked like in the first couple of images, I did retopology and some good UV plates, which you can see in the second batch, what your seeing in the final renders is the very fine details, those were a result of a sony alpha DSLR photo. I took up close images of the shoe knits, from those photos I pulled height data then textured the shoe using those. to be clear the scan data was only used as a base for me to retopo the shoe, for speed and accuracy, while maintaining a fully VFX friendly model.

3 Likes

Check out these screengrabs, I hope that sheds some light on the process.
This is a screengrab of photoshop and cinema, but you can see the photo I pulled the height data from alongside of the render output up close to the knit.

This is a screengrab of the material network, the color roughness etc are derived from my single knit Displacement tiled accross the vamp of the shoe.

2 Likes

Thanks , I am doing it for 24 years now using Zbrush so I am familiar with the process .

I was only surprised how many details you got on the scan in the first screen grabs that included stitches and basically zero noises what you don’t see everyday at that resolution . That is all.

Super job with the retopology and texturing , nice attention to details, love it !

3 Likes

Nice! And thank you, appreciate it. The scanner itself is nice, I have some issues with it. But with some fitness it works well. I often test getting much closer then is recommended. Do a small area, and if it works that’s my distance to keep. After that it’s just a hard battle of losing track.

2 Likes

Great work! Both the scanning and how the retopp is done are of very high quality.
Did you use Zbrush for the retopo work?

1 Like

No I scan, process the mesh in zbrush, then retopo in cinema 4d, then I go back to zbrush to sculpt on the retopo. Then texturing is done with dslr photoshop. Materials and render is redshift 3d.

Thanks for the info. Must be quite a learning curve to learn to master all those programs.

1 Like

It can be, 3d apps have a lot, but I’ve been Doing it non stop for about 15 years. These scanners are a nice bump in speed.

1 Like

How did you scan the inner areas of the shoe?

I just tried to get multiple angles, then the rest I built out looking at the physical shoe, using scan as a reference point

1 Like