Seeking Advice on 3D Scanning with Structured Light and AESUB Spray: Challenges and Workflow Suggestions

Hi @SphaeroX,
Incredible work, congratulations. Your work is amazing and the speed with which you completed it is equally impressive. I am eager to see the video and the project file.

Last but not least, I am grateful for your spirit of sharing and understanding, and for the time you have dedicated to me. In general, I believe that this is a group of truly exceptional people, and I am really thankful to all of you.

Once again, my heartfelt thanks to you and everyone who is participating in responding to my request for help.

Blender & MeshMixer File: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

Applying Texture from Pictures:

Applying Materials:

3 Likes

Great job @SphaeroX , my friend; tomorrow, I will carefully study the valuable content you have created. Thank you so much; if I have any further questions, I hope you can still put up with me :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a beginner myself, unfortunately I donā€™t have enough time for something like that. But when I do, I really enjoy it!

Hi @codabat
I played with your model , download it here color and UVs: Elvis_PUTV_Color.zip - Google Drive

ezgif-2-120ab7e417

4 Likes

Wow, did you just paint it? It looks really great, how did you manage to do so well with the UV map? With the mesh, I have more problems with individual artifacts appearing.

8bglpa

Wow @PUTV , fantastic result!!! It looks just like the one I have on the table.
What workflow did you use? Do you have a book, preferably up-to-date, or some concise sources that can get me started with Blender?
Again, congratulations!
Itā€™s been a real pleasure exchanging ideas with you and the other friends in the group.
Iā€™ll try to follow the advice and suggestions you all provided.
With my warmest thanks and regards.
Iā€™ll try to keep you updated on my progress.

Before doing anything I like to remesh the original model to get rid of triangles and create some matching dummy , then paint the groups for individual parts like glasses and clothing , after that I create automatic UVs based on my painted group , after that I subdivide the model , copy the details to it and paint the groups , after painting are done , I create automatic UVs from vertex painting. And decimate the whole model to desired size keeping the UVs . Thatā€™s all

So the final model is just a visual copy based on a scan , only the form as the model is new .
You should not fix scans because of triangles what is difficult and can create artifactsā€¦they are only good for reverse engineering or for use their form to create a proper usable model .

If you want to use original scan it need to be scanned proper in first place , or the editing will cost you double the time .

@SphaeroX you did also nice job on the painting !
Btw check the groups of the Bird ā€¦ they are the same as the UVs islands

2 Likes

Hi @codabat

Sadly I use Zbrush and that is my main software for 3D modeling for the last 25+ years . Not using Blender

But you can follow @SphaeroX advice as the workflow is mostly the same . Just different tools .

I donā€™t know if Zbrush Core Mini is still free as you can still use it for small work ā€¦

In case it is , I can send you my Zbrush project for evaluation .

And thank you , I am happy you like it , just had moment and fun with it , so adorable birdy , I may print it and paint it for use next year hehe

When I have a moment I may record my workflow to show you my ways in Zbrush , for some it is more natural for others donā€™t ā€¦ same for me with Blender , I know technically everything but the way it is constructed not talking to me so not enjoying it as much and not feel like want to start something else when my tools are perfect for me .

Hi @PUTV,
ZBrush Core Mini still seems to be free. Maybe when you can share your workflow, Iā€™ll experiment with both (ZBrush and Blender). Although for the issues I mentioned, I will most likely use Blenderā€¦
Thank you again for the enthusiasm and wealth of information you shared about my problems and my inexperience. If you print my legendary bird Elvis, I would be thrilled to see a photo!
Talk to you soon, where are you from? I am writing from Milan, Italy.
Best regards.

I will do of course !

I am in NYC US , my fatherā€™s side family roots are from Italyā€¦

1 Like

@PUTV,
Itā€™s wonderful. I love New York City. Amazingly, my nephew, my sisterā€™s son, has been living and working in New York City as a director for several years and is married to a New Yorker. This Christmas, they came to Italy. I was born in Florence, but I have been living in Milan for work since 1998.
A hug and congratulations on your art and skill!

The world is so small after all ā€¦ nice !

Hugs back and thank you for your kind words Lorenzo !

Catharina