Scanning thin objects

As part of my ongoing practicing of using my POP3 , I tried to scan this wrench ( 6.03 mm thick at the chosen location ) the other day. I believe scanning each side followed by merging the two halves will not result in accurate thickness in the model as there is so little overlapping between the two scans. So I tried to scan the wrench standing vertically and add some features at the bottom to assist tracking. The wrench was coated with baby powder + alcohol prior to scanning. The appearence of the mesh came out very nice but the error in the thickness is as much as 0.74 mm which of course is very disappointing. Are there any better methods to create models of objects of this kind ?

I have came across a Revpoint youtube video showing how to scan a sword but only one side was scanned in the demonstration。 The object is definitely more challenging as the edge of the sword blade is of almost zero thickness. Just wondering how the two sides can be merged together accurately.

The scanning of the sword this way will allow the accuracy to be consistent on the full length, remember that the main accuracy is only at the base center of your turntable , long objects will have different accuracy at the bottom vs the top when scanning standing up .

Remember that reverse engineering use the scan form as a base to build on top the model with the proper references and additional errors are corrected while reconstruction .

When you use a baby powder you already add at least 0.1 or more error to the surface .

3D structured light scanner have only greatest accuracy at specific distance .
How greater the distance how lower the accuracy .

Regarding merging , you need to use marker points to proper merge difficult objects .

The blade of the sword is not simple but the handle have more area where the manual marker points can be placed .
Normally you can scan it in color mode where you use the color vertex as your reference for placing marker points , however after the change in Revo Scan where the vertex color was removed from the merged function this method is no more possible.

You can still do that in Cloudy Compare
You can stick mini color dots as your reference and use it to place merging points for more precise merging .

And if course we still missing manual merging option , but hopefully it will be added in the future version back to the merging function .