Revo MINI scans looks like if they where a bit inflated?

As a Zbrush user, I noticed the scans of some mid sized miniatures appear like if the mesh was a bit inflated. It seems consistent over all the miniature, like if the point cloud where detecting the object closer than it actually is.

I installed the supposed software for MINI calibration found inside the topic with that name, it does’t recognize the scanner. And after opening and closing it, RevoScan5 stopped recognizing the MINI as well.

I had to reinstall RevoScan5 to make it work again.
The behaviour was:

• Status of the scanner “Connecting…”
  • Scanner was flashing blue light for one/two seconds continously.
  • The connecting process never succeded.

That stopped after a full reinstall. Now it works fine again.

Overall the scans are good, I can even say that are great for mid sized minis. But the “inflated surface” is noticeable and it’s kind of annoying.

The scanned item is a 3D printed and painted bust. No coating, no spraying.

this is the mesh in zbrush

for the original STL file

1 Like

I am not sure about the inflated situation here, can you please post the original and scanned files next to each other in Zbrush ?
Since you said your scanned the printed miniature , you must have the original .

I use Zbrush as well , and never experienced this kind of results with MINI .

Did you try to calibrate MINI in RS5 latest version ?

Make sure your miniatures are at exactly 10 cm distance from MINI while scanning and MINI is at 45 degree to the scanned object . Also you need to scan at least 2-3 angles to fully reconstruct the model’s volume , scanning just one position will not reconstruct it fully to the original .

I will open both side to side. This was my very first scan ( I usually don’t use the model provided ever LOL, I have creality printers and elegoo printers and I don’t have the elegoo rook neither the creality hand LOL ). I had to scan something… anything, without any treatment to stablish a starting point, and it was incredible. But!, and I always have a “but” :slight_smile: … I noticed that and I thought maybe the scanner was a little off. RS5 doesn’t let me use the calibration feature. Neither the standalone software created just for calibration.

I tried to open MINI in the calibration software and it say I have no scanner whatsoever. Then I went back to RS5 and it refused to connect again. So I had to reinstall it.

I ordered the MINI last week and I was all day and every day waiting for it and learnig everything I could before it arrived. So I knew about almost every feature beforehand lol.

side to side

well now that I see this way and knowing that the scan is from a printed object that already blurred some features, it looks amazing… lol

It is not inflated , just the accuracy of the printed object, you did not printed the original with the same accuracy either as that would need to be at 0.01mm

However with some practice you can still get better results over time .

ohh for sure it is ( it’s not “really” inflated but it looks like ) and it’s not this model the only one that I scanned and realize that. It seems to happen all the time, but it may be some issue with scanning sharp corners maybe. I didn’t show you a picture, but the printer did a very good job at printing it. And the print looks much closer to the original than the scanned one.

Loot at the eyes for example and the number 001. The scanned model looks like it has the eyes much more closed and the 001 number es rounded. It’s the same with any sharp edge, they end up looking round where they should be sharp.

I don’t know if this is how things are, or it can be improved. And if it can, how?.

It can improve , I wrote it already … keep 10cm distance between the object and MINI for sharpest results , scan at least 3 angles for sharp edges and corners .

The model is not as small so you should get all the details just fine , just practice .

I scanned smaller objects ( rings ) with finer details than that . Just remember the proper distance .

Acrylic paints tends to slightly blurry the results if the top coat is not complete mate .
But definitely you should get sharper results if you keep the proper distance and scan different angles

Top standing -One rotation : 360 degrees ( pause )
lay on the back - One rotation : 360 degrees ( pause)
Lay on face etc…etc…

This way you get all corners sharper , if you missing a corner the result will be inflated as there is no data .