Range 3D Scanner - Automotive Scans

Really impressive scan under those conditions. Well done!

1 Like

This scanner would be more useful to me than my POP2 for designing UTV parts.

Are you doing that in one big scan with pauses, or in chunks with stitching?

It was done in 2 main sections, left side then right side, then the 2 sides aligned before meshing,

Each side was done capturing about 300 frames then fuse then continue until as much detail as possible was captured from that side, moved to the other side and started a new scan, drivers said took a bit more effort with the wheel and switches etc, FOV is big so keeping the distance constant is difficult in the confined space of the car but with a little effort it works well

1 Like

Nice, thanks for the detailed response. I’m definitely super impressed with the scans from this. Sounds like you have a pretty nice workflow down as well.

1 Like

Land Rover headlight scanned with the Range beta scanner , hand held, with 8Gb RAM on Windows Tablet pc as usual

black plastic is scanned without any problem, zero tracking problems, but had to use a light coating of AESUB Green on the lens

The Range scanner manages to capture some of the very fine detail which is a bonus for a scanner designed for bigger objects

6 Likes

Excellent results Johnathan :+1:t2:, thanks for sharing!

Outstanding results. Did you have to fill in many gaps?

Not many at all Jeff, only had slight gap around the bottom of the box

And other very small areas like in the electrical connector which is quite deep with about 8 shiny metal pins and some grease or oil that makes it invisible to the scanner

4 Likes

These scans look so good. It’s become pretty clear the Range is where I need to be. I’m learning a lot using the Mini, but I’m often trying to get it to things it isn’t good at.

1 Like

Id really like to see how the range scanner reacts to exterior car parts - without markers and without significant dirt or dust. This is one of the biggest torture tests for most 3d scanners.

Hi @Texel
Everything that is made from metal and is shiny/ reflective can’t be scanned , that’s the rules of every 3D structured scanner .

Range don’t need too much markers and in most situations it handle everything great beyond expectations.
But you still need to use 3D spray on most parts to avoid struggles .
And if you have really flat parts you need each marker at distance between 5-8 cm

2 Likes