Question about MIRACO

I’m looking for mobile - large scale scanning of boats. I was ready to buy the Range and saw the Miraco.

I’m curious about the scan difficulty level, accuracy, and tolerance that you found on your Bell 505 Jet Ranger scan? That’s a lot of targets on that helo? Why so many? I’m relating to my experience with Faro & Leica laser scanners. Very few targets were required with them?

1.) Miraco vs Range? Why wait for the Miraco?

2.) What would max available scan time be with 16GB set at the highest scan resolution? If the battery lasts 2 hours will the 16GB storage go the battery distance?

Is that 16GB “internal” storage?

3.) Is it USB external drive storage capable?

4.) Screen size?

5.) Onboard editing?

I’m really impressed with Revopoint’s scanner tech spec’s and price point. You’re changing the arena in an industry that offered insufficient economic entry into quality based scan technology. And you keep getting better at it with every new product!

Thanks!
Dan

here there might be some answers.for example it obviously has an 6" Amoled screen.

Hello Dan

All informations will be revealed on Wednesday October 25 when Kickstarter campaign is launched … little patience until then please…

Don’t forget to check live show on Facebook and YouTube on that day around 8pm New York Time , your all questions may be answered .

See you there
Cath

1 Like

Thanks for the help

Still researching reasons for excessive targeting? On any of your large object scanners. I can’t find anything. Can you answer my question of “Why so many targets?”. Is it a software related requirement or hardware?

Thanks

3D Structured light scanner are a visual based scanner , if there are no features there is no point to track, that is the scanner technology no matter who make it …
so to be able to scan anything you need features for the tracking , boots in general do not have many features but lots of flat surfaces that are not scanner friendly , no matter what scanner you use , for that reason you need to create tracking points .

How bigger the scanner FOV so bigger the distance between the features is needed .
Frames are like shingles they need to land exactly in the proper position while scanning , if there are no features , there is no tracking and frames will slide down and scanning is over.

A feature can be anything , crumbled cloth, paper , wrinkle , Painter tape , marker points … anything that will make the scanning area different from another scanning area .

For that reason you cant scan a sheet of paper or sphere, as they elements don’t have any features and to the scanner it looks just like a 2D flat object .

1 Like

Thank you for your continued help in answering my questions. Your explanation on target requirements was excellent.

My confusion was caused by me. My familiarity with laser pulse technology had me assuming the Revopoint units were somewhat typical. I can easily see now why the visual based scanners need more targets. And I can also see where ambient lighting may become an issue for my specific use. Outdoor scanning will be limited in open sun.

Are there Revopoint scan samples I can review in REVO Scan 5 and then Draftsight 3D software? I’d like to see what features it has for ‘fill in’ reconstruction with poor scans. And then review dimensioning in CAD.

Thanks again!

Yes the limits for an ambient light for scanning with infrared is below 1700 lux , sun light produces too much infrared light wave that interrupts the pattern .
So scanning outdoors is limited to a cloudy day , dusk ,after sunset or night .

To see the dimension check the scanner accuracy based on your needs , Miraco and Range will be on the list here for your needs.
The accuracy depends on the distance between the scanned object and the scanner , to keep the same accuracy , it is recommended to keep the scanning distance at the proper level , if you scan one part with excellent distance , you need to keep the rest at the same distance , if you use Good distance then everything else should be at good distance to avoid shifting between accuracy . Shifting between accuracy will create a seam that need to be manually removed in another 3D modeling software .

I saw your other post asking for Range specs and dimensions.
Most of my friends that use Range for scanning Auto parts prizes it mostly , it need only 8cm between features ( targets) so it allows you to scan bigger sections at once .
When using marker points mode , I recommend to scan smaller sections and not trying to get the whole parts at once , as it can shift by accident one frame that will follow the rest creating so called banana bend , something you should avoid , smaller sections will give you better precision after for merging .

Since you can accept the error of your scans at max 2mm , Miraco or Ranger will be your best choice …

There are not examples of full projects to play in …
But since your interest is also in scanning Automotive parts , I would ask friendly one of our beta tester @Johnathan to give you the best answer here , since he use most all of Revo point scanners in his Auto Shop and reverse engineering most all of them. He knows exactly the answers you seeking.

Of course we have also other great users in our community that do reverse engineering their scans with precision like @Rilot , @Xile6 , @X3msnake and many others

Hopefully one of them will have a moment to share with you their experiences.

2 Likes

You’ve been a great help with all my questions. Thank you.

Scanning at night won’t be a problem. Actually better. I’ll be scanning boat decks in a very hot climate area.

I unboxed the Range I purchased yesterday. I’ll be doing my test scans to get familiar with Revo Scan next week.

October 25th is my birthday. I think I’ll buy myself a present? The Miraco.

You welcome @DDRDan

October 25th 8pm we have a live show on Facebook and YouTube showcasing MIRACO and I will answering technical questions , you can see it next day if you are busy on Wednesday evening .

Hi Catharina!

I never read such a precise specification on ambient light intensity limit (“1700lux”) and this is very helpful information! THX!

Does this lux-spec apply to all revopoint scanners emmiting infrared light or are there differences like Range maybe emitting stronger infrared pattern and therefore being usable under brighter conditions than other scanners ? Is there any scientific paper or other information you can share on this subject, like amount of ambient (IR) light intensity to noise ratio when scanning the same object? I am in particular interested in values for Revopoint-Scanners, of course.

Please move this to another thread if needed.

Cheers and best regards

1 Like

Hi Ivan ,

You welcome , here is the full information regarding light conditions you can scan with using ALL Revopoint scanners

Install on your phone Lux meter app to measure exactly your light conditions

Remember you can also set Depth Exposure to manual and get down completely to add extra to your scanning light situation …
Mostly other older scanners works around 1200 lux perfectly … remember it is only for measure outdoors light conditions or indoors with big windows … no artificial light …

No there is not paper on it … it is my long experience and practice… happy to share

1 Like

thank you very much :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

@PUTV 2 questions about the Miraco.

First, is the battery replaceable in the Miraco? Ie swappable like a DSLR camera or “repairable” like a cell phone?

Second, have you experienced the difference in performance of the 16g vs the 32g Miraco? Does the memory size limit the scan size or is this a “nice to have” as it speeds up scanning? If the memory upgradable? Again, is the ram on LPDIMMs or is it soldered to the motherboard (like a iMac)?

Thanks,
Bruce

1 Like

Hi Bruce , thank you for your questions, very important questions , but I am not able to answer you that at this moment, my lips are zipped … sorry NDA

off the record : as we know from our phones that we used with other scans like Range , memory are very important , there is huge difference between having a 16GB or 32GB phone , especially if you going to scan huge models this matters on your phone as well … how more how better for the whole speed and system .
Give yourself a question , can you upgrade RAM on your phone ? :smirk:

1 Like

Question about MIRACO / Software request.

Can you (Revopoint developers) make the MIRACO capable to use an external scanner (MINI in this case) via the USB-C connector?
Just like we did until now with our smarphones.

Also, since the MIRACO is using USB-C (3.1 ?) it might be able to deliver power to the external scanner too.

Use scenario:
i have the MIRACO and a MINI.
I scan an object with the MIRACO but i need to scan some details with the precision of the MINI blue light system.

Instead of grabbing my laptop or my phone+battery bank i just connect an usb-c cable to the MIRACO and continue my previous scan (or just make another one) using the MIRACO.

Just a single device (+ the MINI) without having to bring around other stuff.

Just my 2 cents…

1 Like

no need for mini anymore as both have same specs with single frame precision of up to 0.02mm.

Mini quality is better.
Just for the fact it’s using “blue light” instead of infrared.
0.02mm doesn’t mean “anything”.

Single frame precision is not 0.02mm accuracy , you cant archive 0.02mm accuracy with infrared scanner for that reason MIRACO is officially 0.05mm … however it can get slightly higher to maybe 0.04mm

To have the same quality as MINI you need a blue laser to get rid of micro noises affecting the accuracy at that level .

Well… Miraco can still scan Coins … not that bad

2 Likes

thy for clarifying. I already wondered IR was as good as blue laser and asked myself how revopoint achieved that. Still, impressive specs nonetheless for IR-tech.