PUTV | Pop 3 Plus | Showcase

Interesting
A smaller FOV would introduce smaller scanning area so similar tracking problems to Mini.
But apparently the scanner can still “see” the full FOV.
The optical zoom probably affects only the projector, not the IR camera.
It scans in the new narrower field to get all the detail, but still orients itself based on what it sees in the full FOV - that would be my guess because mini’s problems with tracking have nothing to do with hardware, just a small scanning surface so it easily gets lost whenever there is a place with less useful detail to scan.
I don’t really see Revopoint changing anything in the tracking algorithms - they still don’t use color data for some reason - so if the Pop3 Plus doesn’t loose tracking while zoomed in - that would be my best explanation.

That what I was guessing before , but the paper stated it is an Optical Zoom , fixed to 1, 1.5 and 2 , the FOV changes slightly in size and definitely more data is produced . The projection pattern changes as well , otherwise it will be the total opposite when using Optical zoom , as we want the pattern to be as small and sharp as possible and not zoomed in .
There is lots of new features regarding tracking , no color data yet , but great additional features for the hard to scan objects .

A huge win for POP 3 series here and improvement , almost virtually no noises what is a huge step forward using IR what suffer from it for obvious reason . As I mentioned before , it is great for medium size objects to pop up the extra details that were missing scanning bigger objects … For me POP 3 retired already , it was good but POP 3 Plus is better .

2 Likes

After I scanned the Sneaker I remeshed it and converted to low poly for use with animation
Scan

Remeshed and grouped size 112K from 2 million poly

Rigged and rendered

5 Likes

Would this by chance help get into hard to reach areas, like the foramen on my vertebrate bones? This is the only region I can’t get without holes using my POP3.

Very impressive scan of that shoe Cath.

2 Likes

I believe only if you use the zoom function , it increases the power of the projector so it can get much deeper . How deep the holes go on your bones , maybe I can recheck with some other objects to see if it works 100% for you .
As long there is nothing blocking the holes that creates shadow , it should works .

Thank you Andy , very surprised myself , I think so far the best scan of that shoe I ever made , virtually no noises . I could not believe I did not lost tracking using the smaller FOV and 1.5 zoom .
Hand held scanning on Lazy Susan .
The first collected data reached 24 millions points , after removing the lose points and overlapped points it reduced itself to around 9 milion points . Of course can’t mesh it at that level of points so it ended with 2 millions after meshing , however I tried CC for meshing the all available data (9 millions points ) but got just slightly more details so not as much , the difference was visible only on the stitches , ended up using the RS5 meshed model instead .
I think POP3+ is really great for object between 12 cm and up to middle size around human head at least in my workflow pipeline, since for the other sizes I have other scanners like MINI 2 or MIRACO or Range 2 .

It gives you the extra pop up details without sabotaging the tracking at short scanning distance .

1 Like

The annotations show the foramen. You can see the holes inside each.

If I try to fill the holes, the whole foramen gets closed.

3 Likes

I will check with a tube how deep it can scan .

1 Like

Pushing my beta device to max, of course if you have MINI2 you use it first, but it was interesting to see how far I can go with POP3 Plus regarding details , of course POP3 can’t reach that details .
MINI 2 , MIRACO and POP3 Plus can now reach the level of details using that coin .

Scanned with zoom 1.5 at excellent distance of 150mm on turntable RS5.4.9 public version .

coinPUTVPOP3Plus

And some other fun with color scanning
Super Mario character Toad aka Kinopio

ToadPUTV2024P3plusscan

ToadPUTV2024P3plus

Rendered after using Iray engine for the fun of it …

Back to school … :wink:

Sometimes the simple forms are the most difficult , scanned on turntable without zoom at around 235 mm in color , scanned first the standing position then upside down after pause and resume in Feature mode to get the undercuts, so cute …

6 Likes

BunnyPop3plusPUTV

Another test
Straw and burlap Bunny at the size of 15 inches / 35 cm
Turntable scanned in one go , lots of points around 20 millions , the mesh was around 13 millions polygons , color vertex

Fusing took 20 min , meshing 10 min

Because why not? , assets are assets :wink:

Edge detection

5 Likes

The fur is quite impressive in the non-textured model. I’ve always struggled with fuzzy objects.

1 Like

Thanks Andy , I was not expected the straw ( fur) would even scan , since that are very thin individual straws , so nice surprise .
I don’t have any plushy at home to try , but maybe jacket fur will be next .
The POP3 Plus even at standard creates excellent fine details and lots of points without much downgrading the scan after processing . I like it more and more .
Also tried handheld single shot mode in color and got full scan of the bunny with only 245 frames .

Part 2 of my Straw Bunny scan using POP3 Plus

Scanned with single frame around 240 frames , then after decimation copied symmetrically for animation

7 Likes

Great scan, cool animation!:clap:. IMO it should become new Revopoint’s mascot :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you Ivan :rabbit: :joy:

1 Like

Some miniatures scans , Average size: 3 inches/70 mm

APOLLO

Click to Play

HYPNOS

Click to Play

GATTAMELATA

Click to Play

4 Likes

MerBoy with a Perl size 13 inches/33 cm