Pop 2 cellulites

I bought the pop 2 hoping to be able to do face and head scans accurate enough to use instead of face and head casts as a means to creating prosthetic makeup and wig blocks. I received it a couple of weeks ago and have been playing around alittle with it but all of my scanned faces/heads seem to come out with orange peel-like bumps all over. Is there a way to work around this? Am i doing anything wrong or is that just as good as it gets? If anybody have any tips on either the scanning process or advice for post processing it would be much appreciated!

You ask if you do anything wrong , I don’t know what you doing in first place , so explain a bit your process then I will tell you what you doing wrong .

And not it is not the final result you can get

Thank you for replying! After I posted this I found the thread where you posted your process for the angelina scan, and I realised that there is still a ton that I need to wrap my head around. I have just been scanning via revoscan on pc, face high accuracy mode. Slowly moving my way around the face from all angles, but I have been doing it all in one go, no pausing, and then immediately meshing it in revoscan. That thread really shed alot of light on head scans for me and I realize, as i kind of suspected, the fault lies both in my scanning process and in skipping alot of post process, but I have had a hard time finding info on scanning people, the tutorials I’ve found is mostly of smaller figurines or mechanical parts to scan on the tiny turntable with the scanner set on the tripod. Btw, the angelina jolie scan is a scan of a face cast? If so do you recon it is even more detailed partly because it is an inanimate object with a single coloured surface? Or do you think one could get as high detail and accuracy on a live face?

Thanks again for your reply! Much appreciated!

@Rterje there is many factors , the face actually is a great material to scan as skin in general , the most noises you get because of the settings you using for meshing , as you saw I do not mesh human scans in Revo Scan as it has only 25% of the actual quality , it is good for the fully body scan mode . For professional results I do mesh it outside Revi Scan .

You do not need to go on the highest settings , only if you capture the point cloud and fuse it at 0.1mm , that is all what matters , if your cloud point data is messy , you will never get good mesh .
This include too fast moving with your POP2 over the face area, next you need to wash your face before , avoid reflections , I use NYX primer to diffuse the skin reflections , as you see above the scan was of my son … perfect surface on a perfect skin .
I can’t talk about the AJ project in public as that is for my work and I did actually the whole body Reconstruction , let leave it on that .

Another thing , please stop scanning your eyes open with the scanner , long exposure to IR is not healthy for your eyes / retina unless you use body mode at 60 cm .

I will give you some tips

1. Prepare your skin , wash it with cold water removing any oil residue ( oil on skin will make more noises )

2. Put your POP2 on a tripod with the proper distance between 20-25 cm and move you head from left to right ( if you doing it by yourself ) or sit down on a rotating stool and move around gently and slowly around 60 sec in one rotation . If you have dark hair use hair net . You may lose tracking on the back head if the ears are not visible from behind , make sure the POP2 distance is proper ( face or head )

3. Fuse the cloud point at 0.1mm

4. Export it after it is fused

5. Import it to Revo Studio or any other software that can mesh it from point cloud , Cloud Compare, Mesh Lab etc…

6. Generate the mesh from the point cloud , in Revo Studio at 7

7. You can now use the smooth functions and get gently with it until you like your results and get rid of the most noises, but be careful not losing too much details , choice the denoiser

8. You can also simplify the mesh but if you want to print it , then you don’t

9. Now if you want to get perfect print you will not get greater details than your scan , maybe with resin printing .

10. Never scan the areas you scanned already twice , it will produce noises and artifacts .

11. How well you scan your point cloud data , so will be your mesh after.

I do not have yet face tutorial on my channel yet, hopefully this week , but I have the Chinese Guard lions tutorial that show the smoothing process in Revo Studio , check it out , this really no matters if you scan small figurines or faces , the process you need to learn is still the same . You will have the accurate volume as that is what you need for your FX work , the mesh resolution of POP2 is only 0.1mm , you can still use Japanese nozzle to print it out at the same level , but it would take forever , however for what you need it for, the regular print can do that, as we care about the volume and not the fine pores on the skin anyway .

There is sadly no magic button 3D scanner yet , other way people like myself would be out of work lol
However POP2 indeed safe half of my job time , as it is pretty good. You have no idea how much time cost processing of an expensive scanner data , I would never get so clean data with 3 buttons clicks as I did when scanning my son … I am processing lots of Raw data , and the one that people advertise for sale go through a heavy process already , as they looks 10 time worse after scanning .

I think you are on a good start already , with little more practice of processing your data , you will get great results in no time .
you could still fix your currently scan using Cloud Compare and remove all the noises and overlapped point clouds .

Good luck and practice practice practice

5 Likes

@PUTV Thank you for such a thorough response! Looking forward to try it out more and hopefully, with some practice get some decent scans!

1 Like

@Rterje you more than welcome , hopefully it works well for you .