Small object - lots of detail - Sample Help

I am about to order a MINI, but would like to know it will accomplish my goals. I recreate religious medals and crucifixes that are old world. They have a lot of detail. My plan is to scan, 3D print in castable resin and cast copies. Can someone post a sample scan of a detailed crucifix about 2 inches tall that has an ornate background so I can see level of detail? I sure don’t want to have to buy a $6,000 jewelry scanner.

Any help appreciated. I could also snail mail a sample to scan to anyone in the US who is willing.

You can see a lot of the Mini’s capabilities in the Showcase forum: https://forum.revopoint3d.com/c/revopoint-showcase/9

Try this one, for starters: https://forum.revopoint3d.com/t/mini-putv-3d-models-showcase-progress-tips/15682?u=jefflindstrom

1 Like

What about a picture of your prototypes ans scale of it ?

I will let you know if you going NBA have success .
If you want to be 100% sure about the results you can drop me a mail with a sample and I will scan it for you and sent you the model .

PM for details .

Not sure if these will show. Samples attached.

Thanks for replies to date.

My printer resolution is 45 micron xy and 10 micron layer so I am assuming printing the scans will work.

PS: I have jewelers mica powder I can apply if needed due to reflection.

1 Like

Hi John , yes it will works without issue , the scan resolution is 20 microns as long you keep the distance at 10cm between the object and the scanner , it will be easy job to scan the relief.

I would recommend to use zinc oxide mix with alcohol of any kind , and a soft brush to brush it on or use spray bottle or airbrush with 8mm nozzle .Very fine layer will works already .
So you keep the details . Mica powder is reflective what can induce micro noises .
And of course you can use 3D spray from Attblime, avoid AESUB as it can react with the alloy .
I scanned bronze alloys with Attblime 3D spray without issue .
You can see some previews in my thread that Jeff posted early .

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I will get it ordered this week. Do you have the dual axis turntable? and have you had any issues? I will most likely buy the premium that has the dual axis as it seems my small objects could benefit from the dual axis. They are fairly lite, so i can glue on a “sprue” that I would need for casting anyway and not have to add it in the model and stick it on a molded clay base. Will let you know how it goes. One reason for the need is my wifes business as she has bought items that need to be reduced in size before production.

Hi @jkovar55
I would not use the dual table turntable to scan fine jewelry, the tilt is out of the pivot too much to get good results, you going to lose some resolution details in the process .
For the types of scans you going to do I would recommend regular turntable as most of the items will be flat on the table anyway so you don’t need a 30 degree tilt .

All you need is a 45 degrees tilt of the scanner relative to the relief ( object)

I mean you can still get it if you want and use just one rotation at 0 degrees angle or use it later for other objects in the future.

But that is up to you , I did not used it to scanning my jewelry in the past as all examples from my thread use regular turntable

I hope they improve it soon , as right now it is just fine for scanning figurines and other simple objects , but the tilt still affected the details to some degree regardless.

You can attach the objects to the turntable with a included sticky putty, it will hold it steady in place .

I will order the dual since I already have a small turntable from my UV curing system. It is on the shelf since my new castable resins do not need UV cure.

Which version of Attblime do you use? Thanks,

Right now I use the one for airbrush as it is much cheaper than the can 2-4 hours operating time .

AB2 G in can or container for Airbrush 0.07 to 0.8mm nozzle

You can get also the AB2 G can as well for a test … very handy and last long , as you just frosting the surface slightly, not over painting it .

2 Likes

Thanks, I have an airbrush, so least expensive is good option.

Wife and I are gearing up for production so we have income when I retire in a couple of years. I really enjoy the metal work / casting. Have you used Shapr3d or another CAD program for design? Jewelry specific software and Z-brush are out of my budget right now.

That’s great , I use only Zbrush for design in my work for over 2 decades .
You can get Zbrush Core mini , I think it is still free and you can create great stuff with .

I do design for my customers as well .
I think CAD software are not build for organic modeling , and looking from your preview it is pure organic from nature .
Lots of polygons to be handle here that most CAD software will chock on .

Be aware ZBrushCoreMini (the free version) only supports up to 75,000 polygons per mesh and has no import capability and limited export.

See comparison of features here:

750k not 75k
I don’t think you need more than 750K of polygons to create a mesh for printing .
Not to forget you can sent your models directly to your printer and automatic reduce the size for printing .

It also have Sculpture Pro included for organic modeling

More info here
http://docs.pixologic.com/zbrushcore/zbrushcoremini/

Of course it is not original Zbrush but great free software to get familiar with Zbrush , it is worthy to try and eventually upgrade to a full Zbrush version that is used by so many jewelry makers today .

And then you have free Blender ( not my personal favorite) but great software as well at no costs .

1 Like

I have created and printed items in blender. Used it mainly for adding text to the back side of a medal and scaling to different sized.

1 Like

I am preparing for you some relief test so you can see how well MINI can handle it .
It is casting relief, I will print it in a smaller version so you can see the scanned results in comparison .

I am organic modeler and since I use Zbrush for most everything for so long I have everything under hand what I need but as usual that are my personal preferences .

1 Like