Improvement suggestions for RevoScan 5

So I’ve been using RevoScan 5 for a few days now and I have some ideas that would vastly improve the software’s usability in my opinion. You seem to care about customers’ suggestions, that’s why I chose to share my thoughts.

First of all, I have experience with $20,000+ scanners and I have to say the Mini 2’s resolution and RS5’s capabilities are very comparable to those. So great job! :grinning:

Without wasting any more time, here’s my list:
1: SPHERE BRUSH SELECTION TOOL

1.1: This would be very useful to remove small imperfections from a complex object, which would be impossible with the current selection tools as they select across the entire scan. The tool’s size should be adjustable in millimeters. I have not seen this feature elsewhere, you could be the first to implement it!

1.2: Also, a feature where this brush could be used in reverse (to unselect parts of current selection) would be great.

2: MERGE BY MARKER (for real this time)

There should be 3 merging modes in every scanning sofware:

• Feature, which you have and it’s working pretty good
  • Point to Point (or Manual), which you incorrectly call ‘Marker’
  • Marker, which you don’t have in your software

So,

2.1: You should rename the “Marker” mode to “Manual” or “Point to Point”

2.2: Make a REAL marker mode where users can select physical markers on the objects and use them to align two scans. This is mandatory in a scan software.

2.3: Also you could make an automatic marker align mode and a one manual one. (other softwares have this)

3: REMOVE MARKER HOLES

While tracking markers in scanning works pretty good, removing markers in post-processing is a complete disaster.

3.1: It does not detect all markers

3.2: When it removes a marker, it removes material from the other side of the model too, which makes this feature unusable.

3.3: Marker hole size should be adjustable in millimeters. There are dozens of marker sizes out there, not just “small-medium-big”.

3.4: There should be a manual marker remove tool. This would be useful when the software does not detect a marker and it can’t remove it automatically. (adjustable size in mm also)

4: SELECT FRAMES FOR TEXTURING

When I scan in color, the outcome is usually blurry. I think it would help if I could manually select only the crisp looking frames to be used for texturing.

5: MERGE GROUPS

In this feature the separate scans would remain editable after merging (or fixing), so I could remove parts of the scan that are noisy or inaccurate, but required for alignment. A drop-down would be cool.

6: FILTER FAKE POINTS

Sometimes the scanner records points that are simply not there, thus making that scan quite unusable. It would be great if the scanner did not record that points (that it can’t see well) in the first place. If this is not correctable in software/firmware, these errors could still be corrected / removed by using the sphere brush I mentioned.

Summary

So these were my first suggestions for the RS5, some of them would be useful, and some of them must be implemented in my opinion (like merge by markers).
I hope you appreciate that I took the time to write this, and at least consider implementing them. I have a degree in computer science and I’ve been programming for almost 10 years, so I understand that it’s not 2 minutes to code any of these. But making good (better) software takes time and these would certainly add a lot to the user experience.

That’s all. Thank you!

13 Likes

Hi @kr3d

Thank you so much for these suggestions. They are so detailed and clear. We believe they can make our software even better, and we will record them and send them back to the development team. They will be carefully evaluated and you may see these new features in the new version of the software.

Thank you again for your interest and contribution to the enhancement of our software!

2 Likes

Hi @kr3d

Our team is very interested in this tool and would like to ask you if this is your personal idea or is there already relevant software that has this functionality, and if there is software that already includes this functionality, can you send it to us for testing?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @Revopoint-Jane

This is my personal idea, I made the diagram in CAD. I don’t know any software that can do that.

1 Like

Ok, thank you very much!

great input man…this is really nice sw…but these are great ideas

2 Likes

The Prusa Slicer for 3D printer uses a round brush to mark surfaces for support structures. You can get it here: PrusaSlicer | Original Prusa 3D printers directly from Josef Prusa

1 Like

Hi @KonstisSFX

Thank you for your help! We’ll look into how to add this feature!

1 Like

I assume that you’re suggesting localized mesh smoothing?

@MrMold666
It would be great to have a feature that would only smooth the selection. But my first suggestion in this list is a selection tool, nothing more.

Let’s not forget that this is a scanning software, there are great mesh editing tools out there, so I would concentrate on the more important functions, such as the merge by marker, which can only be done in the scanning software.

Oh, most definitely. I have access to software much better than Cloud Compare or Meshlab. I suggested a localized smoothing option last month after I bought my scanner. I wasn’t sure if that was what you were suggesting or not. I get to work with large scale point clouds for work (I have a point cloud of my house) and get to play around with all of Leica’s software. A merge by marker function like you describe would be nice when using markers, but a manual align would be more useful when markers aren’t used. Just to get the cloud oriented with the next one and then use the auto align to get it the rest of the way would be great…also, it’s just nice to be able to do most point cloud rendering and simple meshing manipulation in one place, natively.

1 Like

Perhaps I didn’t understand the difference well, but it seems to me that the “sphere” selection tool with variable diameter is exactly what is normally used for selection in Meshmixer https://meshmixer.com/ . You can choose between “sphere” selection and “lasso” selection

Artec Studio uses spherical brush tools for mesh clean-up.

Headus PlyEdit has a Smooth Marked function. I love the software, but it’s a bit esoteric for most folks as it comes from an old command-line IRIX/UNIX SGI platform.

Merge groups especially would be SOOO helpful! All of these suggestions are top tier though thank you for putting this together!

1 Like

This is probably a far-in-the-future request, but I’d like the ability to fit surfaces to scan data. That kind of moves RS in to the reverse engineering territory though so I understand if that’s not where Revopoint want to go with it.

1 Like