Because Racecar - diving into the deep end of scanning on the first try

I’ve finally completed scanning the body of my prototype racecar - the Sports Car Club of America - SCCA - Prototype 2 Hidari Firefly. This is a car we built ourselves; we’ve scanned it to produce a more accurate model for CFD (computational fluid dynamics - aka virtual wind tunnel) analysis and optimization in the off-season. We intend to use these results, along with hopefully some good detailed scans of the underlying structure, to design and make new, improved bodywork for next season to continue our progress developing the car.

I have to give a huge shout of thanks to user PopUptheVolume for the most excellent tutorial videos; I’d have never managed this without, and would’ve given up a long time ago.

For reference, the body is 6’/3 metres across… the scans were done in multiple sections, with countless marker dots (since tracking is a major challenge).

All processing was done using Revo Studio. We still have to mirror the scans to make the full body, then install it in CAD over the lower body model.

We also intend to make some scans of the underside and splitter (front flat piece), again to compare with virtual models, as these are the critical parts for the aerodynamics of the car. As it sits right now, the car makes roughly 3/4 of its own weight in downforce by only 110mph (car weighs 1100# with driver). Top speed is around 145mph at the moment - though with a little more power and improved aerodynamics, we should be able to push that out to 150.

Here’s some pics of the scans and the actual car, hope you enjoy!

8 Likes

Wow :astonished: You don’t see it too often !
Great job @924RACR
I am sure upcoming Revopoint Range 3D Scanner would be just perfect for this job and much quicker .
But…
Hats down , I know it was not easy task !
Thanks for sharing , I hope to see more work in progress in this thread !

1 Like

Since I mentioned it - here’s a snapshot of the CFD analysis (with the photo-based car model - you can probably even spot some of the differences from here)…

3 Likes

Really really cool!!! Are you going to have the scans available for download/purchase so people can 3d print their own mini version (or full version if you are just crazy enough lol)? Would be neat to see an accurate model siting on people desks, at least I think so…

1 Like

Nice work. It’s a lot of work, definitely.

Did you use marker mode? Obviously I see the markers, but some have noted better tracking, in regular modes.

Also, what software are you using for CFD?

It is impossible to scan this flat area surface in different mode than marker mode , no features to be scanned in feature mode .

1 Like

For sure.
I haven’t really scanned anything that flat and plain.

Definitely have a couple items in the pipeline.

1 Like

Thanks, all! No, no plans to share the model - only for our use. Maybe someday we’ll make a desk-sized model, would be fun to have…

2 Likes

Revopoint Range 3D Scanner? Do tell more, what kind of objects are they aiming to scan with it? Still waiting for a rough scan room scanner :slight_smile:

Thank you @924RACR
A really great job has been done! I wish your project further development and success!
What software did you use to get this image? https://global.discourse-cdn.com/standard17/uploads/revopoint3d/original/2X/8/8d131d92b1dfb2b05797862433af470671e6a9f2.jpeg here

That’s output from OpenFoam - though I think there’s another visualization SW in the stack as well. That’s all on my designer’s laptop.

I can’t tell you specification but you can scan everything big with it . There are no limitations in size .

2 Likes

Sh%^, my wallet just jumped out of my pocket :joy:

2 Likes

Put back the snake in … that’s only an option :joy:

Put back the snake back into my pocket???
Uhmmm
I have a girlfriend, mmmkay?

Back into your wallet , so each time you try to reach for the money it gonna bite you .
Don’t you know the saying ?

Now what your girlfriend has to do with anything ? :joy: