Pop2 scan of 33cm x 22cm panel

Well, I learned something today, I think. The less light htere is, the more points the scanner detects. And, according to some users (not Revopoint staff though), thy less light there is the better the chance that the scanner will keep track of the object.
Anyway, my first scans were a bundle of misaligned dots, so this result is much better. Lets see how many hours I will need to get this up to decent quality.
The 2 photos are of the object I was scanning. The one with low brightness almost shows the light level when scanning but I needed to use the flash to get a decent photo of it so actualy brightness was even less. The one with high brightness was to get a better quality photograph of the part.

You need “Scanning Spray” in my opinion, the panel is absorbing the IR

Need to see the scanning window, to check settings, distance, etc

1 Like

I think you should be using Marker mode on objects like this. Way too much featureless, flat areas.

2 Likes

It’s like Jeff said!

1 Like

As everyone else said already , scanning spray and markers , there is no one scan in this world that would scan that without a markers .
You giving yourself a heavy challenge with this one .

When I hear the word “flat” and “without features” I thought that genuinely meant something that was flat, smooth, straight (essentially homogenous). The panel, while sort of flat (it’s actually got a curve in it), has all those reinforcement lines in it and clips on the edges. But I now know that flat actually means something a little different than what it means generally.
I have done a scan with marker dots, but my god, I had to use all the 2 sheets provided with the scanner to have it not lose tracking. And that’s after spraying it with while chalk (which turns out to be an excellent scanning spray that is temporary and cheap).

That is a drawback of Marker mode. If you don’t want to buy in bulk, you have several ways around this:

1. If you want to scan larger metal objects that are not suited for a turntable, you can attach the markers to circular magnets and place them on the object. This way, they are reusable. If the object you have shown here is not magnetic, then place pairs of magnetic markers on each side.
  2. Perhaps the most common method is to 3D print one of the scanning plates that have unique pattern cutouts that allow Feature mode to be used.
  3. Create a unique background (pillars of varying heights and shapes) that are in the background of the object being scanned so they do not obstruct the view of the object’s base (admittedly, this is limited to scanning objects in the same size range unless you can make the background objects variable).
  4. Use Feature mode with unique objects (different multi-sided dice, perhaps with debossed characters to enhance ‘uniqueness’) and place them around the object being scanned.
  5. 3D print scanning aids (such as small cubes) and place the markers on them so they can be reused and scatter them around the object being scanned.
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.
I’ll add one more to that list.
Get some removable labels in a4 size. Print a bunch of black rimmed circles just like the marker dots. If your laser printer doesn’t print black very well, just put the same sheet through again and print on it twice.

And another method I forgot while composing my reply is that the POP 2 is also sensitive to patterns of color. I haven’t experimented with this at all, but colored spray chalk (which can also improve overall scannability, not just tracking) could be useful, especially on large panels with few unique features.

No really , when it get down to color , white is the best choice .
Slightly light gray may helping with the gain when the object is very close .
Anything darker than that can change the dimension accuracy of the actual object volume while scanning . Red for example is actually half way between white and black in grayscale.
The sensors do not care about the colors, it is about the gray scale that the colors represents and its reflectivity level.
The world is in a grays scale , colors actually don’t exist in real world , our brain is responsible of creating the colors we see based of the grayscales , reflectivity and absorptions.
The real world looks exactly as the Depth Camera preview in Revo Scan .