Neolithic pottery/ and a lot of questions for optimizing

Hi there,
as i am continuing my scanning practice, the results get better.

This is a neolithic mushroom-shaped beaker from a child’s burial in southern bavaria dating to 4400 BC. It is attributed to the so-called Münchshöfen Culture. The beaker is about 10 cm high.

Spexk_1a_simpl_mesh - 3D model by Archaeoscan.by (@Archaeoscan.by) [71e8759] (sketchfab.com)

While this model is quite ok, i would like to do things better still:

1. There are some artefacts on the surface, like grainy spots. You will see them zooming in. I scanned the item from 3 angles in order to get also the inside areas. Pause and resume ONE scan didn’t work, it couldn’t bring the 3 angles together properly. So i made 3 different scans and merged them, which worked fine - or almost fine. Fusing at advanced mode 0.08. I tried 2 ways: cleaning each point cloud before merging , and then merging first and cleaning only the combined PC (someone in the forum wrote rhis would work better). I can’t telll exactly, but in my opinion the latter way did slightly better. What are your experiences or hints? Can I do better and get rid of these grainy spots?

2. Scanning from different angles of course affects the rgb colours. While i am quite happy whith the overall result, on one side of the shoulder is a huge circular color seam which looks not very good. Is there a way to soften the difference post-scanning? I don’t need a 1:1 color representation, just a general impression would do fine.

3: If I want to get most of the detail of the decorated zone on the shoulder, can I make one single rotation scan just of this and stitch it on to the model of the hole vessel? Maybe cut out this part before, but only on the outside? - There is this possibility in revoscan, I think, just to select the visible parts…

1. I have some of the sherds of the missing “hole” which I didn’t glue and fit in in order to get the inside of the vessel. Is there some third party opensource software which allows me to combine and fite these missing parts into the model later and save it in one .ply?

Thanks and cheers,

Daniel

3: cloudcompare

Except you should export the aligned mesh for meshing in revoscan

@PUTV: what are your tipps?

@PUTV

Hi Daniel , in most cases the point cloud will produce as good results as it could , any processing will only downgrade the results .
But for the grain spot there is not much options since it happen while scanning , you know I use Zbrush for all my work exclusively since 1998 so for my that are not big issues to be fixed and restored .

There are other free programs that you can learn and use for your advantage like blender or meshmixer but all of them require sine learning curve . And for future work you going to do with scanning you will need that to add to your tools for easy way out of your situations .

Regarding the fragments , again the same thing , I would scan the separate, clean , mesh and use Zbrush to put them all together back where they belong with precision … easy work for me

For you , you can use Cloud Compare to add all the fragments , or the old Revo Studio where you can manually add and align fragment by fragment .
Again in this case some 3D skills with other software would make things much easier to finish your projects .

Is not that hard , since you already have all the elements, and I like your last scan , looks very nice and it is not as easy to scan , but you getting so much better on it already .

So to finish it , just scan the rest of elements, clean them carefully to be sure not other parts are attached , fuse it and align it manualy one by one in the old Revo Studio , or Cloud Compare .

If you want to align already meshed fragments you can also use Cloud Compare or any other free programs like Blender or Meshmixer , I think it would be best solution here …

Unless you want to completely restore it to original version , then you should works with point clouds only and mesh it all after manual alignment .

I know not much tips here
But I hope you find your way some how , trial and errors are after all the best practices for improve your skills and I deal with that on a daily basis, since not all scanning situations are always perfected .

Thanks!
But as I learned, ZBrush isn’t free, is it? There is a free “light” version, could I use this?

1 Like

For free and opensource nothing beats Blender.

It has tools as powerfull as Zbrush for cleanup and sculpting, the free version of zbrush is very limited and will not allow you more than a few thousand vertexes.

I would start in your case with meshmixer, then jump into blender.

To learn blender take it as a multisoftware inside a single wrap, what i mean is start by learning what you need so not to get ovewhelmed by the software possibilities :wink:

Of course you can use , for what you need it is already enough … unless you want to Learn Blender .

That would be the best solution for now at no cost … still powerful

Do you by chance know a meshmixer video tutorial for my needs?
I’ve tried with XMsnakes good tutorial for CC on pont clouds and it worked halfway, but was a lot of effort because the points to pick actually don’t exist, they would be in the seam lines.

See if this helps

1 Like