3D printed Scan Marker Net

Hi all,
I decided to try making a 3D printed Scan Marker Net.
You might have seen them, they are commercially available, but I couldnt get one here in Australia.
So, I bought a very cheap garden net with 100mm hole size (that is 4 inch for the non-metric country folk)
Then I designed and 3D printed a couple of hundred “Snap Together” PLA buttons for the reflective markers. (Rhino 3D)
So far I have tried scanning a flat featureless floor (see attached) and it works a treat, no loss of tracking at all.
I will try some car panels tomorrow.
Cheers,
Mike Annear.

5 Likes

looking great! I :clap:was about to design that myself, allready bought a net for that purpose.:slightly_smiling_face: do you intend to share these files? is it snap fit or did you glue the parts together?

Hi @Scan2Model

Remember the markers need to be in an unique pattern for best tracking results .
The same pattern can snap the frame in the wrong places when you lose tracking just once …

Hi All,
I finally found some time to do a quick scan on my little Mitsubishi.
Once again, this scan was done outdoors, after sunset.
I was using the Range Scanner running on a 10 inch Android Tablet.
The car had no surface treatment at all.
This marker net worked perfectly. I did one continuous scan with only a couple of tracking loss errors.
The scanner (Range) re-established itself each time and continued scanning.
1200 Frames all in all, I am very happy with the result.
Regards,
Mike.

4 Likes

Wow nice Mike , I am surprised it worked
Thanks for sharing !

Hi Catharina,
Thank you.
Using this net is so fast compared to manually placing Markers.
I was concerned about having the markers in a line, but it didnt seem to matter. My plan was to just warp the netting a bit if it didnt work first time. :slight_smile:
I am not going to post the STL for the Buttons online,… but I am going to make a video about how to create them using Rhino 3D and post it on my website / youtube :slight_smile:
I am planning on producing a series of “how to” create 3D models from Scan Data using Rhino, something I have been doing for over 20 years.
Thanks again,
Mike.Annear.

2 Likes

I am sure it going to be interesting Mike , it is always great to inspire people with a new idea !
Post your videos when you are ready Mike !
Thanks!

Cath

hi mate, i’ve done the similar things to you , but i was using the RJ45 cable instead (single wire), but after scan , the “net shape” is captured, how can you solve this issue? thanks

You should use only cables that are absorbing infrared , black nylon, silicon , plastic .
The whole point of it .

If the cable did not merged together with the scanned surface you can use lose point remove . If it merged into the volume you will have to manually cut it off , but the whole purpose of it is, to not having the wires captured in the scans .

1 Like