Why is this so difficult?

I think I’m starting to lose my mind with the POP2. I’ve read just about everything I can and watched every “tutorial” video on scanning with the POP2, but I can’t seem to find a problem. All of the videos and written tutorials are quite basic…I’ve tried everything I can think of and tried tons of different objects and get the same results.

I’ve tried every lighting condition I could as well as tweaking the camera settings. It doesn’t matter what I do…the second the scanner moves or the object turns the tracking runs off into nowhere. I’ve attached a screenshot to illustrate. Although I am a 3D scanning noob, I’m generally quite stellar with technology. I’ve made my living in IT, automation, and CNC technology. However, I just can’t seem to get started with the POP2…

That are tracking issues , 3D Light structure scanners relay on object features for tracking ,
add some other small objects to your scanned area or use marker mode for objects without features .

If you want to scan handheld , add more objects around and problem will be solved , on turntable you can use marker mode for best results .

It is simple , once you try you will know.
Also please download Calibration software from the forum Starting Point/Download section and make Calibration test to see if you get results below 0.09000 just to be sure your device is working fine.

1 Like

Interesting. I have seen that in pictures, but nothing really explaining it. That makes sense.

I will try the calibration as well. When I was reading about it, I thought the thread said it’s NOT recommended to calibrate a new scanner, but at this point I have nothing to lose.

I’ll give it a shot. Thank you.

it is always recommended to do a Calibration Test first… some people run direct to Calibration without actually checking , some scanners get bad while shipping due to shaking and dropping of the packages so you have to make a test to be sure.
One of my new device was at value of 2.80000 , now it is at 0.0400 and that is huge difference

and regarding your issue, I am more than sure you will have success … I am doing so many scans daily of any kind , trust me .
If you have 3D printer you can print some small objects with at least 3 faces
I printed myself this one , and also purchased on Amazon

Rubber beats from Amazon

We all was there once before Ben … there is always solution for everything and simplier than you may think .

1 Like

Excellent help so far. I just put a few knick-knacks around my scan and the crazy tracking issue was no longer a problem. NOW I feel like I can actually start practicing. Thank you for the advice! I will print some of those dealios tonight.

I think part of my problem was I was trying to start with objects that were too simple…so there wasn’t anything to track on. Your tips along with trying something more complex has started me off on the right track. I’ll have a steep learning curve ahead of me since most of the objects I want to scan are matte black and I really can’t spray them with anything. I’ll keep practicing.

Thanks again!

Ben

2 Likes

You more than welcome Ben , glad to hear it helping you out .

Regarding your matte black objects , you can use 3D vanishing scanning spray like Attblime .
It will vanish after scanning in 4-6 hours so not worry with cleaning , I even scanned my DSLR camera using it without issues or any damage as it is safe on all objects and surfaces .

Hello guys!
Since this topic seems to be quite similar to mine and @PopUpTheVolume seems to be a very competent guy, I hop in here. I’m also struggling with my first scans. I bought my pop2 on Kickstarter at the very beginning. I tried scanning stuff for a few days but had no success and put it into my shelf. Until now.

I installed the latest software and did a firmware update.
I tried scanning the piece showing on the pictures. Unluckily it’s black and that’s why I covered it in dry shampoo spray. I tried many different settings, played with the brightness and the deep scan setting. At the last attempt I added the stickers to the turntables.
(I also did a calibration test)

I’m not able to scan that item. Scanner keeps doing weird stuff. Losing the tracking, stacking several items into one scan, getting unprecise and even if one turn of the table creates an accurate scan, when I pause and turn the piece by 90° it absolutely never finds tracking again.

The only thing I was able to scan was the bust which is included in the package.

How would you set up things? What settings? What could be improved to my setup? (Pictures)
I wasted days already and I’m kind of annoyed already.

Ah, and do you maybe have a printable 3d model of the white knobs you have shown above?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @UncleChicken

I just posted everything while helping Ben what you should do , just read it .
There is not much more to add to it

Number 1 your object seems to be very small , it is bigger than 30mm ? The accuracy of POP2 is not so great to scan very small objects , for that job you got MINI .

But if you try to setup the scanner at exact 15 cm from the object you may get better results , also I would scan separately the angles and merge them later for better accuracy , scanning everything at once is good for full organic models and figurines not for type of object you trying to scan .

Try it again and show me the result
Fuse it at 0.1mm , Mesh at level 6 , zero denoiser if you going to merge it later and zero close holes settings .

P.S I am not a guy :relaxed:
PUTV

Thank you.
I think I already applied all the things you mentioned to Ben, that’s why I felt like telling my whole setup again in hope someone spots mistakes.

The item is about 3cm x 3cm x 3cm.

Most importantly: how do i scan different angles separately and merge them later? Didn’t know that’s a possibility.

Thank you, girl! :face_with_peeking_eye::blush:

Yes that is very small object , actually the smallest POP2 can handle .

But once I am on computer I will send you the model for print out so you can use it as support while scanning .

You put the scanner 15 cm away from the object , it is a must ! Then you scan it at one rotation only 360 degrees , 400-4500 frames and no more , then after fusing it at 0.1mm you export it as ply …
Then next you change the position of the object and scan the other angle the same way and export it .

Since the object is so small do not over scan it many times it is a precision work .

You can check the tutorial section in the forum for tutorial how to merge objects in Revo Studio

You can watch one of my tutorial too

1 Like