Unboxing The POP II and First impressions

Hi everyone.

If you missed the KS offer, grasp the Early Bird Discount of POP 2 on Revopoint shop!

Click here:

I’m new to the group and I just wanted to share my experience unboxing and using the POP II for the first time.

Upon opening the shipping box, I was impressed to see the care used in packing the products
and the attractive graphics on the POP II box itself.

The POP II is packaged neatly in its box, with the included items necessary to accommodate
connections for power and data across a variety of combinations. The dense foam insert is cut to
accept each of the components, and since the box is of thick material it appears it would be ideal
for storing your POP II.

The first noticeable object in the box is that disc with markers on it. This is part of the ‘Family Set’ bundle offered by Revopoint to meet different users’ needs, in addition to to the ‘Standard’ bundle, which has the basics to get you started scanning. I’ve learned that the extended table is not included in the standard bundle, but was packaged in the POP II box to protect it.

Revopoint has included a package with two sheets of marker dots and a textured black plastic
bag for providing a non-reflective background. Black is very difficult to scan, so it’s ideal as a
backdrop to prevent unnecessary artifacts in your scans.

And of course, the warranty statement and QC approval stamp, indicating that the unit has been tested and meets specification.

There are quite a few things packed into the box with the POP II, as you can see below.
I’ll go over them and what they might be used for.

To the far right is a small bust included for your first scanning project. It is of a light color, which scans well, and the detail is not so extreme that you’d have a difficult time achieving a nice result.

Starting with a simple scan to acquaint yourself with the entire process is really a good way to get some experience under your belt. Once you master scanning a simple object and experience the post-scan processes, you can begin to fine-tune your setup for increasingly better results.

This is the POP II itself, from the front. As you can see, it is quite compact. It has some weight for its
size, which to me indicates quality as far as modern electronic devices are concerned. Weight is relative, however. At slight 225 grams for the POP II, assembling a lightweight mobile 3D scanning setup should be easily achievable.

The compact tripod supplied with the POP II is shown here with the little adapter that mates to
the cold shoe that comes attached to the unit. It allows the scanner to be mounted and unmounted from the tripod/handle quickly due to the spring-loaded latching mechanism built into the adapter. To mount, just slide the male piece on the scanner into the opening of the adapter and it will lock into place. To release the POP II from the tripod, merely depress the side button and slide it out. Much more convenient than having to screw the tripod into the device every time you want to use it!

This little adapter has a micro-B on one side and both a USB-C and a mini USB on the other
side. I presume the mini is for power and the USB-C is for data transfer. I’ll find out when I
set up the POP II to perform some scans.

Cables included with the POP II are shown below. I see a 32cm USB-C to USB-mini, a
49cm USB 3.1 to USB-C, a 208cm Micro-B 3.0 to USB A 3.0, and a 208cm Micro-B 3.0
to USB-C marked “Only for computer”.

The Revopoint POP II has a maximum single-frame accuracy of 0.1mm; very impressive for a
handheld 3D scanner in its price range.
At a maximum frame rate of 10fps, scans can come together for fusing in just a short time,
depending on the object, its size and its detail level.
With two scanning modes (Fast Scan and High Accuracy Scan), the POP II is sure to provide
satisfying captures of real-life objects.
Revopoint is constantly working to improve the POP’s performance for their user base and
enhancements are added as experience among users is shared on the POP forums. The
HandyScan software is available free to download and the package includes HandyStudio for
post-scan processing.
For further refinements, the files can be exported in three popular formats: *.PLY, *.STL, or
*.OBJ.
Many free 3D modeling programs are available to make your creations POP!

Above is a POP II session captured as a High Accuracy Scan, with feature and color modes
selected. All post-scan operations were performed in the HandyScan software itself.
Here is another subject about the same height as the flower girl figurine above and
scanned with the same settings as it was.

A small figurine 17cm tall, High Accuracy Scan. The color mode was selected but
texture was not applied.

This frog doorstop is 17cm by 11cm by 9cm. The POP II’s advanced optics produce a good representation of the scanned surface. The object is broken, but could be repaired in software and 3D printed in a variety of sizes and colors. Warts could even be added to make it a toad.

Above is another High Accuracy Scan, with color and texturing. Unlike scanning in the ‘no color’ mode, lighting will have an effect on the color rendition of the scan. With adequate lighting, stunning results are achievable.

In conclusion, I think the packaging of the POP II is very well thought out and projects an image of quality and eloquent design. The inclusion of peripheral items that are necessary to set up a 3D scanning system, be it mobile or stationary, is a plus.

With every basic item you need supplied along with the scanner, and free software available for popular platforms, you should have an enjoyable first experience with 3D scanning at home, school or work.

1 Like

hi there, how can you get the POP II so early without having to wait until Feb2022?

Revopoint sent some test units to selected users for a preview.

Thx for the review!
Do you also have POP1 as I would be very interested in side by side comparison.

Yes, I have the original POP and just pledged on KS for a POP II. I love this scanner!

2 Likes

Cool! I did, too! :slightly_smiling_face:
Did you have to send the test unit back? I guess you also did some comparisons to POP1. do you have some scans you can show. Or even just write your personal feeling comparing those two.

Actually, I haven’t even had the POP II for a week. I started a new channel to showcase all my good scans… I just put a couple up today but haven’t had the time to do much of anything besides playing with the POP II and refining my lighting. THAT is the MOST critical part of the color scanning. I think this unit has potential none of us have seen yet. I love this little thing so much that I pledged for another one. I may need assistants to help me scan artifacts and such in our little desert community of Joshua Tree if I can get the local museum and tourist spots interested. I’m 72 and just got into 3D printing right before the pandemic, so when the POP was announced on KS, I jumped on it. I’ve had a lot of learning to do…the curve is steep on some of this stuff…but I’ve learned harder things before. I’ve been playing and working with all things tech since I was about eight, so I’m having the best time of my life right here. I was born for this stuff. I especially enjoy interacting with Cassie, Jade Kris, and their colleagues.

2 Likes

I really pull my hat, getting into such sophisticated hobbies at your age! I also started 3D printing off work before the pandemic and I think 3D printing (and also 3D Scanning) are like the best hobbies to keep one entertained during lockdowns :smiley:

I also pledged for the POP2 as soon as the message came it’s live on KS now. I already hastled too long with the POP1 and I would not this time hehe. :wink:

Have a nice weekend and I hope to see more of the POP II soon - just wish it would arrive already haha

Regards

1 Like

Hi, I´m also really interested in the Pop 2 and would like to use it for jewelry, mainly scanning rings. As you have one I could maybe ask you to do me a favor and make a test scan of a ring or something similar at that size. I know metal surfaces can be difficult, so can be something at that size. If I do it with rings they are mainly out of wax o when aout of silver then I spray them with chalk.
Thanks in advance for your test :wink:

Thanks for the compliments. I believe you have to keep expanding your knowledge and experience for as long as you’re able to; otherwise you’ll stagnate and wither away. I enjoy the challenge of something like this; to scan as small an item as I can and try to reproduce it with one of my 10 3D printers. I very much enjoy scanning at life-size and producing miniatures with all the detail I can get. I enjoy making and posting the YouTube videos, so it’s ALL good. I AM enjoying my semi-retirement.