Speed of fusing and meshing

Hi I feel this question may be trivial for some but I genuinely would like to know what would help with the processing time of fusing the point clouds and meshing. Would getting a computer with a faster processor mean lower fusing and meshing times?

Thanks for any info!

Yes, a faster CPU will result in faster processing times.

You can also reduce the polygon count by using a larger number for Point Pitch in the Fuse operation. In the Mesh specifications, choose smaller numbers for Mesh Quality and Denoise.

You will have to experiment with these for the best compromise between quality and speed and the numbers chosen will vary with the type of object you are scanning.

1 Like

Also note that while a faster computer will help, not all the processes are CPU limited.

The texturing step seems to have no problem maxing out all the cores. But neither the fusing step nor the meshing step holds my CPU at max for the entire duration.

I was looking for an excuse to upgrade my CPU, and upgraded from a 2600X to a 5900X today. Cinebench tests say my CPU throughput is now 2.4x higher, but I haven’t noticed any of the processing steps drop by nearly that amount.

1 Like

What are reasonable numbers for “Point Pitch” ? 3, 5 ?

That is correct @sleyshaw24 fusing and meshing do not use full CPU power , it is not optimal and usage is around 59-67% only

The magic number is max at 3 , anything above that and you going to lose great details in resolution and volume accuracy, if I scan flatter surfaces or objects with very little features I always use between 0.2-0.3 , it still give you accurate volume that is usable but without the extra noises to deal with and of course the fusing speed is great .

For example , if I scan a flat square I would use 0.5 , for glass like objects ( coffee mug ) 0.3 , for meshing in this case I would use 4-5 in Revo Studio , remember that meshing value 6 in Revo Scan is only 25% of value 7 in Revo Studio . But usually around 5.7 for meshing in Revo Scah with pitch point at 0.2-0.3 will create nice scans and much faster and cleaner .
Of course only if you do not care about the fine details like small openings in your object , changing the pitch point to higher values is only good for less featured objects, but I would never go above 0,3 for most objects