Small Part- 3D printed scan fixture

I was having issues scanning a small 30mm x 7mm, black plastic part. I coated the part in teflon oil and then in baking powder which made it very reflective.
1st I tried in feature mode which did not work at all. As soon as the part was on it’s long axis to the camera, it would loose track and go all over the place.
Next I tried the marker plate in marker mode. This worked much better but I found that I could not rotate the part once the markers had been scanned. I tried exporting the part, removing the markers in meshmixer and then re-importing to a new scan. this also did not work as the part was in the wrong orientation and would never lock.
I decided the whole part needed to be scanable in feature mode but that would require a larger fixture.
My first attempt at a “cage” was a total failure. After making a quick part in solidworks which had irregular angles and surfaces, I printed it and tried to scan it. It also would not track and actually caused revo scan to crash, every time…

Then I dug around in my scrap parts and found one that would allow me to rotate the entire assembly at various angles and still see the small part suspended inside. I took small filaments of extruded plastic and used a dot of CA glue to attach to each end of the small part. These were then attached to the fixture part with hot glue as it cures faster. As the second filament was setting, I pulled it tight with pliers and the small part was rigid inside.
Screen Shot 04-11-22 at 02.19 AM

This worked much better and I got nearly a full scan of all sides. one face was missing but a more purpose designed fixture would allow better view.

the final part. not perfect but much better than what I was getting.
Screen Shot 04-11-22 at 02.29 AM

2 Likes

Note, I did not have a key for revo studio at the time of writing. I will try again with marker scans and overlap detection in the studio now that I have a key.

You can’t scan the cage , you need to have a solid volume at 30x30x30 mm to scan it , a cage is not a solid volume , I recommend to put some solid volume inside the cage ,also try to use the marker mode if the object don’t have unique features together with the marker plate .

cool. how does one scan multiple angles in marker mode?

you can use markers on the model itself ( the best solution ) , or use the plate with the markers to scan multiple angles .However the plate with markers are used more of difficult to scan object like for example a spherical objects that does not have detailed features.

You will need to export each scanned angle and use Revo Studio to align and merge them together .
Revo Scan uses merging by feature only , Revo Studio have manual option to merge with markers .

I think we are having two orthogonal conversations. Everything you have said is true but not especially relevant to the topic of scanning small objects. The whole bit about scanning the cage was addressed in the OP though it was nice to have the details about min requirements. I know what a solid volume is.

“you can use markers on the model itself” - no, you cant on a small part.
“or use the plate with the markers to scan multiple angles” - this has not worked for me at all as stated in OP. The markers are detected as geometry so when the part is rotated, there is never a match between the markers and the rotated part geometry. When “remove plane” is selected, the scan goes crazy and spins around.
“You will need to export each scanned angle and use Revo Studio to align and merge them together .
Revo Scan uses merging by feature only , Revo Studio have manual option to merge with markers .”- yes, I did this and it worked for two out of the three scans. the third refused to align even with manual markers.

So far, my best results came from placing the small part in a large fixture and rotating the fixture around in feature mode. This allows the part to be suspended in the air so all/most of the sides can be viewed in one scan.

each object need own solution , general information is not always related to your scanning issues .
Your question was a general question and you got a general reply .

I do also place sometimes objects in suspension or next to bigger volumes ( objects ) to be easier picked up by the scanner . I also sometimes use a transparent plastic plexi fixture that is not picked up by the scanner for objects that can’t be rotated on its angles to scan as much as possible at once

I guess you need to develop your own workflow as that will works the best for you … practice trial and error … the best learning curve .

This was not a question. It was posted under tutorials and tips for general information.
:peace_symbol:

and what is that ? not a general question ?