Scans taking too long to generate

Hi all,

I need some help. I have recently taking up 3D printing as a hobby. I am having problems with the computer I am using.

The equipment I am using is:

POP Scanner
Lenovo RYAN 5 laptop 8GB Ram

I scan my image, load it into mesh mixer but my laptop is taking a very long time to generate the scan and when I remesh it, it too takes a very long time.

Before I go out and buy a computer which could experience the same issue I was hoping someone could help me on why this is happening. Is my ram too low for the scanner?

I’d appreciate any advice!

Why haven’t you tried it using somebody else’s computer?

How long it too long? 5 seconds, a minute, an hour?

How big is the scan? Number of points.

Do you mean Ryzen, not Ryan?

Hi @Freddyd

How many frames did you scan? I guess it may be because you scanned too many frames?

Please also consider the suggestions & questions from @Codejockey @banonay. I think they are helpful.

I would take a look at your memory usage while the program is running. 8GB is not a lot for any sort of CAD or video programs. You could also look at the hard drive and make sure you get at least a SSD but even better would be NVME. Most normal laptops can have a regular SSD put in which helps with hard drive access speeding up.

If you look up your model number you should be able to find out if you can add more memory or not and also about the hard drive. If you can’t figure it out just post the model number of yours and I can help you.

If you want a new laptop then I would go for at least 16gb ram and no less than a standard SSD but the NVME would be even better. I would not go below the i5 (usually most new laptops will be above generation 7) or the Ryzen 5 for the CPU.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue. I asked about the graphics card needed and was told it wasn’t necessary. I’m going to try it on my friends laptop with a graphics card and and see if I am experiencing the same issue.

My specs are 8gb and using windows 10

This is a great response. I will look at this now thanks @KnightRid

The graphic cards do nothing , not fusing not meshing .
Fusing and meshing needs fast RAM and CPU and as @KnightRid already said fast SSD helps writing everything down much faster.

Overlapping your model while scanning will take double the time for fusing , how lower the pitch point how low anger it will take to fuse .

Having everything set on the highest setting will take time on any PC .

I don’t know what is long for you, but working with millions of poly models was never a fast process for me .

Open task manager and see how much RAM Revo Scan is using , it may have not enough to process everything and if it reach higher values it may slow down your system , once the fusing is processed you should have less issues .

My POP2 using around 8GB with sessions so at least 16GB is recommend for smooth process.

1 Like

@PopUpTheVolume

Thanks for the response. I actually ran out and put in 16GB in to my laptop yesterday. I might actually head out to the local shop and ask to swap out my HDD to and SSD. I did find that the upgrade from 8gb to 16gb did help with the scan.

I’m finding the lag when processing and when it’s say 100% but the software won’t allow you to do anything. It will take over an hour to process on average (depending on the points.I’m still not clear on what the average points should be, like is 2million point to much? should the average be 1000 each scan… I don’t know, this is new territory for me.
Yesterday, I was trying to scan a person and I am not sure if it better to take a series of smaller point scans then merger them together or continue with 1 attempt. Based on tutorials online, it does seem like you can do a complete body scans all in one shot but I am totally finding this difficult to do with both handheld tracking and the loading.

Ouff… learning curve is big and I am not in the post-processing stage yet.

That is when the software write down the data to you hard drive .

Regular HHD are very slow as lots of data is written down . You see everything you do using the software is saved down to your HDD in real time before you even export it , so everything is saved to your project folder of your scanning session

I did scanned full body scans all at once and it took very long to process and I am using M2 SSD and 64GB of RAM , and the fact that you can do that even with 16GB of RAM the processing of fusing and meshing will take a while . And you will need to fuse the mesh between so not sure if you can do that all at once .

Regular SSD are not the fastest any more on the market but it should make your work much faster already .

Regarding how much points is ok, it all depends of the model surface, is it smooth, is it raw , a lot of features etc…
Usually I decimate my models to around 250K it holds well the details but I do that in Revo Studio .

If you have an object that do not have too much of fine details change the meshing to 5 / 5.5 it will already speed up the process , if you did not liked the result , you can still import the already saved fuse files from your project to Revo Studio and mesh it there , you will have undo so you can adjust the level according to your needs.

Also try using the AUTO settings if you are not sure how much points is needed for your object .

Setting everything on the highest settings don’t means you get the best quality results . Sometimes it make things looks worse .

And most important focus on the captured cloud point before fusing , see if there are any artifacts , it is smooth, has holes or not , evaluation of the point cloud before fusing will result in faster processing time and better mesh .

Don’t use more than 360 frames at max per full rotation while scanning to avoid overlapping point that will slow down all the process . Usually 20-30% of scanned data is removed while fussing and meshing . As it is not usable so the first step is most important .

Now imagine MINI 3D scanner that capture usually 36 millions of points with a very small objects … the process takes long even on my workstation .

Learning curve is big if you are new to 3D
After 24 years I still learn new stuff on a daily basis. It is never ending process .
But without knowing what you are dealing with , it going to be little harder to understand the whole process .
However nothing is impossible, as I see people doing great scans even if they can’t edit a simple 3D model .

1 Like

Thanks @PopUpTheVolume
I ended up changing out my HDD for an SSD. I tried another body scan and failed again. I read your other posting. I’ll spend more time trying to learn how to navigate the tracking to avoid having to edit as much in the post-processing.

Yup, will take me loads of time.I’m going to read all the attempts here and then take it from there. Thanks again!

Edit: Spelling

1 Like