Scanning a moving object or scanning around a fixed object

There’s an operational aspect of the scanner that’s not clear to me. I could figure it out experimentally, but decided to ask instead since the thought just crossed my mind and I’m not where I could actually try it out…

If I am scanning an object with the scanner in a fixed position and the object rotating in front of the scanner, like on a turn table, do I need markers?

My first attempt at a budget 3D scanner used a Microsoft Kinect and some software called “ReconstructMe”. The resolution was poor, unfortunately. But I could set the Kinect on the desk in front of me and generate a 3D scan of my head by rotating around on my desk chair’s swivel.

Does that technique work with the POP, or do I have to stick markers to my head for this? (I already know I can wave the scanner around my head to scan it and it doesn’t need markers, but I’m assuming that’s because the scanner has a 6DOF sensor and it’s tracking movement).

For POP it doesn’t make any difference if you go around the object or you keep the scanner fixated and turn the object on turntable for example, ad long the object has somr distiguishable feature it can use to stitch frames together.
Markers are only needed for symmetrical objects like football or bigger surfaces that are too regular to keep precise tracking and stitching.

2 Likes

Personally for small easy objects I use the turntable with fixed scanner.

But your more complicated shapes I put the scanner on a black table and with the black gloves I move the scanned object in all needed directions to obtain a precise scan of all faces, and I really prefer this methodology.

For people scan, I turn around with the scanner in my hand