Revopoint POP 2 Complete Scan of a Plumbing Adapter Using Scan Plate Prototype

Third test of the scan plate concept.

4 Likes

I think I missed something (and I donā€™t have Facebook): what is that ā€œscan plateā€? Is there an stl-file to 3D-print the surface, or how is it done?

2 Likes

The ā€œscan plateā€ is a device Iā€™ve been working on to facilitate scanning of feature-poor subjects. I can supply a SVG file for laser cutting the parts, which could be converted to an STL if you wanted to print the pieces.

2 Likes

That is pretty neat. I can see how that would be a big help for the things I want to scan.

Did you fabricate the scan place using a laser?

What material?
Are the protrusions glued on after cutting out the openings or did you ablate the surface?

2 Likes

I designed the plate in Lightburn and cut it with laser cutter (K-40) for the smallest kerf. I then glued all the cut-out pieces to the plate in random locations and orientations, evenly distributed across the surface, then sprayed with Montana Chalk and finally overcoated with a satin sealer. This is the second prototype, the first being a Sculpey disc with random depressions and protrusions. The results were so good, I had to pursue and refine the tool. The material is some kind of polycarbonate, I believe. It was salvaged from a scrapped edge-lit LED TV, so I really have no idea what it is but acrylic will work, as well as almost anything you can cut with a laser. Sebastien Seb, on the Official Revopoint Users group on Facebook has worked out a similar device with a different approach.

1 Like

Why not use Handy Studio / Revo Studio to merge the parts? It seems like it would be easier.

That is a nice prototype if you donā€™t want to use markers as they should be used for that kind of scans anyway, if not on the objects then on the plate .
I am using black silicone plate with markes , the scan canā€™t see the silicon material as it absorb the infrared light . It works very well with all scan modes without the need of separating later the plate from the scanned object as this reminds me of the "Lizard plate " lots of not necessary data

but if this works for you, who am I to judge , we do what works best for us

2 Likes

My goal is to move up to the more powerful software, such as Meshlab, Meshmixer and Blender. Iā€™m looking to gain an education from my tinkering.

1 Like

That what I am using for my professional projects plus Zbrush ā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the tip about the silicone plate and markers. I had avoided marker mode because the POP2 was not effective with markers until the release of the Revo Scan app. Iā€™m just a rube when it comes to 3D scanning; I just started in July of 2021, so Iā€™ve been scrambling to catch up with what experts such as you and others on the site already know. Itā€™s been a great ride so far!

1 Like

By the way, I swiped the idea from the ā€˜lizard plateā€™ just to see how well it worked. I also wanted an excuse to have to learn some more sophisticated software outside of Handy or Revo.

2 Likes

As long as it works for you , anything else doesnā€™t matter ! It is good to be creative , and have some fun on the way . I was doing once a scan of an object that had kind of a powdering paint coating , I did not wanted my tournable to get dirty so I put on top a black trivet silicone mat for protection , to find out later it was completely invisible by the scanner , it also limited the shake of the object especially if it was round and smooth , by accident I found a new tool . The polygon structure helped a lot in stabilization .
If you made a plate with just creases in it and painted it light gray you may have better results , with a different pattern on each angle for better alignment . Or drill in small holes the size of the markers so it can be used in all scan modes , the possibilities are endless .

2 Likes

forgot to add picture of the silicon mat in case you wondering , you can find it on amazon 2 for $5

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Seems to me Iā€™ve seen those used as ā€˜spawning matsā€™ for artificially inseminating raptors, lol.

1 Like

:joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: very handy for many things , and also heat proof but most important invisible to the scan

1 Like

Hi, @jumbonot would you be kind enough to share your STL file of your plate scan ?
Thank you.

Iā€™ll need to make it more printable, then Iā€™ll upload to sketchfab. I had a terrible time printing it, even on my Prusa.

You can try this version Sebastien Seb designed. Be mindful of his color recommendations. Heā€™s an expert.

There is this one;

2 Likes

who is Sebastien seb ?