Revo Studio Add Float File

I am trying to use Revo Studio to merge scans using the “add Float file” and am not having any useful results with either Feature or Manual… Is there a decent video out there or a better alternative to Revo Studio?
Getting very frustrated as I have not been able to produce any useful results from the POP2…

I made one for Revo Studio , it starting at 2:10
using manual marker point to merge your Revo Scan

make sure you have the last Revo Studio installed as the merging improved dramatically from early versions , if I am not wrong April 27 was the last update

of course it also depends of what you trying to merge and what is the condition of your cloud point data
I could give you some tips if I know more about what you trying to merge . some screen shot maybe ?

Also if you will be not able to merge it using Revo Studio, there is also free software called Cloud Compare that is much more superior to Revo Studio that do the work very precise .

Is there a version for the most recent? Under info, my version is beta 3.0.5

I am attaching pictures (4) of my scans that I want to merge. It is an ice cream scoop, so not a lot of crisp detail…
Scoop2a
Scoop2b
Scoop2c
Scoop2d

There’s not a whole lot of features on that.

I think that might be a little tricky to align.

Were you scanning this on your turntable?

What mode of operation did you use?

Something is smooth and featureless as this I would consider using marking mode on the turntable.

This is what I have so far using studio. I tried using the turn table with markers with no success, I could never get it to reorient correctly once I picked it up a repositioned it…
so the (4) files were done on the turn table using features

When you use marker mode , you can only scan one side at once , marker mode use markers not the object features and will not align it if you change direction and continue scanning .
This is not simple object to be merged because actually zero features or tracking points , I am still surprised that you got it together .
In cases like that I suggest only marker mode , you can also add another trick I am doing , you can use the color mode as references for merging , scan the object with color , but before that you can make marks on the surface , if you can’t paint it with a marker you can stick little color tape fragments or small color dot stickers other than black or white … then scan in marker mode the 2 sides separately and export as ply after fusing /or meshing but do not generate textures , when you import the point cloud to Revo Studio , you will have color data , use the difference in color to place your tracker points for merging between the 2 objects

1 Like

Thank You for the reply! Actually I think I mispoke… I tried so many things I had forgotten that I did use Marker mode on the turn table and created the (4) separate files…

1 Like

Well next time use the color mode and as I told you it will helps you find better tracking point to merge in Revo Studio

Im trying to align two separate scans of a large timing cover. one being inside the other being outside. other than the total shape the objects look totally different. Ive tried all the options with no luck. I need to place the outside scan on top outside of the inside scan. Am I pulling my hair out trying to do something Revo Studio is not designed for? Its works well when I test aligning 2 scans of a small nic nac…

This is very difficult task , I have the same issue when scanning a human Skull , where the outside bone need to be aligned with the inside bone area where the brain is . When things like that happening you need to scan additional part where both of the parts sharing , if there is no detail to put the marker on , you need to make it yourself . This is nothing to do if Revo Studio can handle it or not, no one program can handle this situation . If there is not shared marker point on the scan files, you will be not able to merge them . Usually a proper overlapping % for merging is 30%

if the object is too smooth and there is no way to have any point to use as marker , scan it with color and use it as your guide . You can paint the markers with colorful sharpie and after the object is scanned in color , you can use it as a guide for merging 2 parts . It gonna give you more accurate results .

you scanning outer shell of the mug , and the inside for merging , there is no way to find any markers because the object is too smooth , but when you paint the color markers and scan in color mode , the point cloud will have the RGB data included , so you can select the markers exactly as long they are visible in both scans . You can use green for left and red for right , to give you the sense of the right directions . This is the way
Screenshot 2022-06-04 083440

1 Like

I tried to scan part of the cover on end so the table rotates to let the scanner see both sides in one rotation. I guess because each side looks so different, when its done I get both sides as separate scans in different directions… I gave up on that for now.

So I can get a very detailed accurate scan on one side at a time with Two separate files. The outside scan doesnt really matter, its just for looks.

The scans do not know the thickness of the cover because its only seeing the surface of each side. When I try to add minimum thickness in other 3d programs they cant seem to compute, I assume because the back side is just lines of nothing.

I want to just add a surface to the back side of the inside scan.

Obviously you can tell by my words that this is my very first time at trying this.

Thank you for your patience…

Can you send me the proper side you scanned zipped to putvmail@gmail.com ?
If the other side is just negative impression of the top side then you don’t need to scan 2 sides . Just one side and add proper thickness in another software .
Send me the files I will show you . It is hard to give an advice without actually see the issue .