Program suggestion - start timer

It would be a great feature if the scan program could have a start delay so that when hand scanning you can press the start button and have an adjustable delay before the scanner actually starts recording.

It would also be great if the scan time can be preset or set to continuous, so that when hand scanning the recording stops automatically instead of having to move the scanner until you can click the stop button.

1 Like

Hi @Bman

Do you mean the countdown function before scanning? We released it on the V2.4.7 of Windows version. And will add it to all versions soon.

For “the scan time can be present or set to continuous”, we will discuss internally.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

The delay option is nice, but a fysical switch on the scanner itself would be better. Or in the cable that connects the scanner to the pc.

Erik

2 Likes

Hi @PodoTools

We will consider it, thank you for your proposal.

Best Regards
Cassie

I would rather have a function or button that starts/stops recording, but keeps tracking, so that I can start recording first when I see that the scanner really has the right track.
As it is now, as soon as the scanner/software thinks the tracking is correct, it starts recording, while it actually might be incorrect. This behavior ruined a lot of scans for me, with the result that I had to start from zero again.
Actually, now that I think of it, it would also need a “retrack” function, so I can tell the software that the current tracking is incorrect and that it should try again.

3 Likes

Hi @Eldkatten

Thank you for your suggestion. I had recorded it, and will discuss with our engineer.

Best Regards
Cassie

Very good suggestion.

I’m sooo angry! :rage: That freaking thing did it again: after 20 min. scanning, the software lost track, thought it had found the track back again and immediately started recording, though I saw at once that it was wrong. Stopped it, pushed “undo”, but nevertheless the model was completely ruined! Because “undo” didn’t remove the artifacts created by the inproper retracking. I had to start all over again.
I don’t want to just hope everything goes right, I want controll over the process! Fix “undo” properly, or give the user a way to tell the software that the retracking is wrong and not to start recording.

Update on my previous post: to add insult to damage the “undo” function removed everything scanned before the faulty retrack occured, thus leaving nothing but the artifacts.

Alright, I’m not even angry anymore, just heavily frustrated:
finally I got a decent scan, saved it to a usb-stick. Program told me: model saved. Shutting down everything and taking the USB-stick to another computer I had to find out that the USB-stick had been full in the middle of the saving process, so everything is gone.
People, what do you actually do when you create your software? HandyScan should have told me “disk full” or something, but not, I repeat: not “Saving completed”.

1 Like

Hi @Eldkatten

Sorry for all the bad experiences you had.

1. For the “undo” feature, we had requested our product team to improve it.
  2. For the model save issue, I will tell our developers and ask them to test this feature.

I will also try to ask them if there’s a way for you to find and recover the files you scanned.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

Thank you. But well, as we say here in my home area: “What’s gone is gone”, and live with it. It worked out in the end, scanning that object, I mean. But still: things would have been a lot easier and more smoothly if it were possible to manually start recording (instead of automatically) after a lost track, if I see that the new tracking is wrong. This applies especially after a pause and repositioning of the object in order to scan a surface that wasn’t visible in the old position.
For now I manage by stopping the scan completely, let the software fuse the points and save that intermediate result, and then continue scanning by pushing the “scan” button again. But that takes a very long time.

2 Likes